1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math student want to study physics

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I am a PhD student majoring in abstract algebra and I want to learn physics_self-study_, what books do you recommend ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What physics do you already know and what do you want to know?

4. Jul 10, 2014 #3

IGU

Depending on how much you suffer from mathematician's brain, you might like Spivak's Physics for Mathematicians. The notes the book developed from are here.

The problem with learning physics for a mathematician is that it's very hard to get comfortable with believing things just because they seem to work. No proof is needed, because if it works that is the proof. But Spivak gets rigorous in a way only a mathematician can enjoy.

5. Jul 11, 2014 #4
    Can you, please, provide some examples.

6. Jul 11, 2014 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I highly recommend against Spivak's physics book. The book is very awkward and disappointing. There are many good physics books out there, but Spivak is definitely not one of them.

7. Jul 11, 2014 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook