• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Math student want to study physics

• Thread starter kahlid
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

I am a PhD student majoring in abstract algebra and I want to learn physics_self-study_, what books do you recommend ?

Answers and Replies

Hi,

I am a PhD student majoring in abstract algebra and I want to learn physics_self-study_, what books do you recommend ?
What physics do you already know and what do you want to know?

IGU
Depending on how much you suffer from mathematician's brain, you might like Spivak's Physics for Mathematicians. The notes the book developed from are here.

The problem with learning physics for a mathematician is that it's very hard to get comfortable with believing things just because they seem to work. No proof is needed, because if it works that is the proof. But Spivak gets rigorous in a way only a mathematician can enjoy.

The problem with learning physics for a mathematician is that it's very hard to get comfortable with believing things just because they seem to work. No proof is needed, because if it works that is the proof.
Can you, please, provide some examples.

I highly recommend against Spivak's physics book. The book is very awkward and disappointing. There are many good physics books out there, but Spivak is definitely not one of them.