Math Table or Method of Solving an infinite sum of reciprocal powers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve an infinite sum of 1/n^2 for all positive odd integers. The answer is pi^2/8, which is equal to the Riemann zeta function Zeta(2). Euler found a way to prove this using a clever method. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering only the odd integers and how to relate the sum over even integers to Zeta(2).
pasqualrivera
Is anybody aware of how to solve the following infinite sum:

[tex]\sum\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex] for all positive odd integers?

Is this the sort of thing you just look up in a math table or solve?

If math table, do I need a "sum of reciprocal powers" table or a "riemann zeta function" table?

If solve - how?

I know the answer is pi^2 / 8 but I haven't a clue how to calculate that and cannot find a math table with the appropriate functions.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the Riemann zeta function Zeta(2), by definition. It's actually equal to pi^2/6, not pi^2/8, and Euler found a clever way of showing this, which is detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem

phyzguy said:
This is the Riemann zeta function Zeta(2), by definition. It's actually equal to pi^2/6, not pi^2/8, and Euler found a clever way of showing this, which is detailed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basel_problem

No, it's pi^2/8. Not zeta(2). The OP asked for the sum over odd integers. Split the sum over all integers into the sum over even integers and the sum over odd and equate it to zeta(2). Now find a way to relate the sum over even integers to zeta(2).

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed the "odd". You're right.

That makes sense, since the even series is not hard to find. I was thinking about this earlier today and haven't done the calculation yet, but I'm glad to have some reinforcement on that path.

Now I get to have fun learning the even series.

thx

What is a math table?

A math table is a systematic arrangement of numbers or values that can be used to solve mathematical problems or represent relationships between quantities.

What is an infinite sum of reciprocal powers?

An infinite sum of reciprocal powers is a mathematical series where each term is the reciprocal (1 divided by) of a power of a number, and the series continues infinitely.

How do you solve an infinite sum of reciprocal powers?

There are several methods for solving an infinite sum of reciprocal powers, including using a formula such as the Euler-Maclaurin formula or the Riemann zeta function, or using techniques such as telescoping or rearranging terms to simplify the series.

What is the significance of solving an infinite sum of reciprocal powers?

Solving an infinite sum of reciprocal powers can have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, such as in calculating the value of certain mathematical constants or in understanding the behavior of physical systems.

Are there any real-world examples of infinite sums of reciprocal powers?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of infinite sums of reciprocal powers, such as in the calculation of electric potential energy in physics or in the estimation of the length of a coastline in geography using the Hausdorff dimension.