1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compute ∫√(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1

s3a

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann Sum

2. Relevant equations
    lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i = n(n+1)/2
    lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n i^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6

3. The attempt at a solution
    Δx = (b - a)/n
    Δx = (5 - 0)/n
    Δx = 5/n

f(x_i) = √(25 - [a + iΔx]^2)
    f(x_i) = √(25 - [0 + 5i/n]^2)
    f(x_i) = √(25 - [5i/n]^2)
    f(x_i) = √(25 - 25 i^2/n^2)
    f(x_i) = √(25) √(1 - i^2/n^2)
    f(x_i) = 5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)

lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [f(x_i) Δx]
    lim n→∞ Σ_(i=1)^n [ [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] [5/n] ]
    lim n→∞ 5/n Σ_(i=1)^n [5 √(1 - i^2/n^2)] (This is where I'm stuck.)

Is it impossible to compute the definite integral of √(25 - x^2) dx from 0 to 5 using an infinite Riemann sum (such that I have to use the regular integral method of trigonometric substitution instead)?

If it is possible, how do I proceed from where I am stuck?

Any help in getting unstuck would be GREATLY appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2
    Your work looks correct, but I am unaware of any way to compute ##\lim\limits_{n\rightarrow\infty}\sum\limits_{i=1}^n5\sqrt{1-\frac{i^2}{n^2}}\frac{5}{n}## without identifying it as a definite integral (which we already know here) and doing it the "easy" way. For the record the "easy" way involves knowing what the graph of ##y=\sqrt{25-x^2}## is along with some very basic geometry.

Also, I'm not a fan of the terminology "infinite Riemann sum". Riemann sums are finite. Integrals are defined to be limits of Riemann sums. There are no infinite Riemann sums.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

One method is, in effect, to prove a special case of the fundamental theorem by finding an antiderivative [itex]F: [0,5] \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] of [itex]\sqrt{25 - x^2}[/itex] and applying the mean value theorem to [itex]F[/itex] on each subinterval of an arbitrary partition to conclude that [tex]
    \int_0^5 \sqrt{25 - x^2}\,dx = F(5) - F(0).[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted