Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Math used in this equation rearrangement?

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1
    I'm trying to determine how much water it takes to raise a car's temperature from -25°C to 0°C. The water is at 10°C.

What I apparently need to have set up is:

-ΔUint,water = ΔUint,car

-(mwcwΔTw) - mwLf,w = mcccΔTc

The resultant rearranged equation looking for mass of water gives this:

mw = -(mcccΔTc)/cwΔTw - mwLf,w

I don't understand how this was done. Also, why are you subtracting Latent heat of fusion x Mass from mwcwΔTw?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Looks like there's a mistake in the algebra, then. What do you think that eqn should be?

Q for you: why does latent heat of fusion enter into the picture at all?

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

jtbell

Says who?

(Hint: are the units consistent?)

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    Latent heat of fusion is in the picture because the water is going from a liquid to a solid. It freezes when it hits the car, then at a certain point it doesn't because the car warms up to 0 degrees. And I don't know what's up with the equation, but that's what my professor's solution says. Based on my math, I got something that makes no sense:

0= mcarccarΔTcar/CwΔTw + Lf

6. Dec 11, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

The left side should be mw. You need a pair of brackets on the right side, and then it should look right.

7. Dec 11, 2014 #6
    I don't understand how. Is there any way (and I know this is no easy task) to break down the algebra step by step for me?
    Also, I made a mistake with the resultant equation in my first post. It's actually mw = -(mcccΔTc)/cwΔTw - Lf,w (no - mwLf,w)

I realize that ends up being the same thing that you said and there is no error (but he kept the negatives in, whereas we cancelled them out), but I still don't understand how.

8. Dec 12, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

You started with this: -mwcwΔTw - mwLf,w = mcccΔTc
    Taking out a common factor -mw we have
    -mw(cwΔTw +Lf,w)= mcccΔTc

Now divide both sides by (cwΔTw +Lf,w)
    and we are left with
    -mw = mcccΔTc / (cwΔTw +Lf,w)

Multiplying both sides by -1 so that we end up with mw by itself,
    mw = -mcccΔTc / (cwΔTw +Lf,w)

The brackets I said you needed are those in the denominator; the ones you added in the numerator make no difference.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook