Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MathCAD help! Multiplying matrices with variables.

Tags:
  1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    I am fairly novice user of MathCAD. I am using version 14. I am trying to multiply a diagonalized 3x3 matrix containing only variables with another matrix completely populated with numbers and no variables. However, when I create the 3x3 matrix with only variables, the variables are highlighted and MathCAD tells me “the variable is undefined”. I am hoping to multiply these to matrices and have a result with the variables multiplied by constants. I know this can easily be done by hand, but I would like to learn how to do this with MathCAD so I can be prepared when I have to multiply larger matrices in the future. Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    First define your variables one by one then later put them into the matrix

4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Is there a way to do it without defining the variables? I would like a solution that contains the variables in it, and if I define the variables beforehand, then they are eliminated in the operation.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    I don't get your question exactly and I don't use MathCAD but it is a common mistake. what I mean is define a b c d as symblolic variable. Then A = [a b;c d].

6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    Bump for any help. Thanks!

7. Oct 12, 2009 #6
    Any ideas?!?

8. Oct 13, 2009 #7

Hepth

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook