MathCAD help Multiplying matrices with variables.

In summary, the conversation is about a novice user of MathCAD trying to multiply a diagonalized 3x3 matrix with variables by another matrix with only numbers. The user is encountering issues with defining the variables and is looking for a solution that includes the variables in the final result. Suggestions are made to define the variables beforehand and a website is recommended for further examples.
jennyp
I am fairly novice user of MathCAD. I am using version 14. I am trying to multiply a diagonalized 3x3 matrix containing only variables with another matrix completely populated with numbers and no variables. However, when I create the 3x3 matrix with only variables, the variables are highlighted and MathCAD tells me “the variable is undefined”. I am hoping to multiply these to matrices and have a result with the variables multiplied by constants. I know this can easily be done by hand, but I would like to learn how to do this with MathCAD so I can be prepared when I have to multiply larger matrices in the future. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
First define your variables one by one then later put them into the matrix

Is there a way to do it without defining the variables? I would like a solution that contains the variables in it, and if I define the variables beforehand, then they are eliminated in the operation.

I don't get your question exactly and I don't use MathCAD but it is a common mistake. what I mean is define a b c d as symblolic variable. Then A = [a b;c d].

Bump for any help. Thanks!

Any ideas?!?

1. How do I multiply matrices with variables in MathCAD?

To multiply matrices with variables in MathCAD, you can use the built-in matrix multiplication function "mmult". Simply enter the matrices with variables as elements and use the "mmult" function to perform the multiplication.

2. Can I multiply matrices with different variable names in MathCAD?

Yes, you can multiply matrices with different variable names in MathCAD. Simply make sure that the dimensions of the matrices are compatible for multiplication, and use the "mmult" function to perform the multiplication.

3. What happens if my matrices have different dimensions?

If your matrices have different dimensions, you will not be able to multiply them in MathCAD. Matrix multiplication requires the number of columns in the first matrix to match the number of rows in the second matrix.

4. How do I handle errors when multiplying matrices with variables in MathCAD?

If you encounter errors when multiplying matrices with variables in MathCAD, you can use the error handling function "try-catch" to catch and handle any errors that may occur. This can help you troubleshoot your code and identify any issues.

5. Is there a limit to the number of variables I can use when multiplying matrices in MathCAD?

There is no limit to the number of variables you can use when multiplying matrices in MathCAD. However, keep in mind that the more variables you have, the more complex your calculation may become and the longer it may take to solve.