Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MathCAD help! Multiplying matrices with variables.

1. Sep 30, 2009 #1
    I am fairly novice user of MathCAD. I am using version 14. I am trying to multiply a diagonalized 3x3 matrix containing only variables with another matrix completely populated with numbers and no variables. However, when I create the 3x3 matrix with only variables, the variables are highlighted and MathCAD tells me “the variable is undefined”. I am hoping to multiply these to matrices and have a result with the variables multiplied by constants. I know this can easily be done by hand, but I would like to learn how to do this with MathCAD so I can be prepared when I have to multiply larger matrices in the future. Any thoughts?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2009 #2
    First define your variables one by one then later put them into the matrix
  4. Oct 1, 2009 #3
    Is there a way to do it without defining the variables? I would like a solution that contains the variables in it, and if I define the variables beforehand, then they are eliminated in the operation.
  5. Oct 1, 2009 #4
    I don't get your question exactly and I don't use MathCAD but it is a common mistake. what I mean is define a b c d as symblolic variable. Then A = [a b;c d].
  6. Oct 2, 2009 #5
    Bump for any help. Thanks!
  7. Oct 12, 2009 #6
    Any ideas?!?
  8. Oct 13, 2009 #7

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook