Matrices- Variable in Matrices-Help

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a homework question involving a matrix. The matrix in question has no inverse and the student is trying to determine the value of x. The student initially tried cross multiplying, but it was pointed out that they started with the wrong entry and they were asked to explain their reasoning for using this technique. The student mentions that their teacher and textbook taught them to use cross multiplying in certain cases involving variables, but they do not fully understand why it works. The conversation then shifts to discussing determinants and their role in determining if a matrix is invertible. The student does not have a strong understanding of determinants and is referred to a lecture by MIT for a better explanation. The conversation concludes with the
Nikki16
Matrices- Variable in Matrices-Help!

1-19-12
I need help. I have a homework question that I have tried to solve.
The matrix in the attachment has no inverse. Explain how you can determine the value of x. Then find x.

I tried cross multiplying.
3*2/3=4x
6/3=4x
2=4x
x=2/4
x=1/2

Physics news on Phys.org

Nikki16 said:
1-19-12
The matrix in the attachment has no inverse. Explain how you can determine the value of x. Then find x.

3*2/3=4x
6/3=4x
2=4x
x=2/4
x=1/2

There is no attachment.

It say it is attached now.

Attachments

• Matrix.jpg
    Matrix.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 390

Nikki16 said:
1-19-12

3*2/3=4x
6/3=4x
2=4x
x=2/4
x=1/2

The entry at the upper left is -3, not 3.

Why did you start by cross-multiplying? I'm looking for you to explain why you did what you did.

My teacher taught me in some cases involving variables we use cross multiplying. I have a textbook also that says so.

Nikki16 said:
My teacher taught me in some cases involving variables we use cross multiplying. I have a textbook also that says so.

Yes, but did your teacher or book also explain why this technique works??

No neither did.

Do you know about determinants??

Yes. The thing is I am in 8th grade doing 11th grade honors Algebra 2.

Nikki16 said:
Yes. The thing is I am in 8th grade doing 11th grade honors Algebra 2.

OK, what do determinants say about a matrix being invertible??

I do not know. I know the determinent is a real number that can be computed from elements by a specific formula.

Just out of curiosity, what is the author and publisher of your book?

do you understand what a matrix does?
what the span of a matrix is?
and if so, do you understand why a matrix would be singular?
it's better to understand what things actually do rather than to remember some rules about them

edit;
I do not know. I know the determinent is a real number that can be computed from elements by a specific formula.

I really dislike this way of teaching the subject (I only know from books, I've never had any formal education in maths), the determinant is an interesting little fellow with sets of properties which can give you information about the matrix when computed.
What you are doing when you do the cross multiplication is using one of these properties of the determinant, specifically one that gives information about the linear dependancy of the vectors in the c-space of the matrix which by extention tells you about it's invertibility.

I'll reffer you to an opencourseware lecture that MIT did;

That whole course is a pretty good introduction to linear algebra in general and Gilbert Strang is quite good at teaching imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

genericusrnme said:
do you understand what a matrix does?
what the span of a matrix is?
I would guess that the OP isn't this far along in his/her studies of linear algebra.
genericusrnme said:
and if so, do you understand why a matrix would be singular?
it's better to understand what things actually do rather than to remember some rules about them

edit;

I really dislike this way of teaching the subject (I only know from books, I've never had any formal education in maths), the determinant is an interesting little fellow with sets of properties which can give you information about the matrix when computed.
What you are doing when you do the cross multiplication is using one of these properties of the determinant, specifically one that gives information about the linear dependancy of the vectors in the c-space of the matrix which by extention tells you about it's invertibility.
More to the point, a square matrix is invertible (i.e., has an inverse) if and only if its determinant is nonzero. The concepts of vectors and linear dependence of the column space are likely too advanced for this poster, IMO.
genericusrnme said:
I'll reffer you to an opencourseware lecture that MIT did;

That whole course is a pretty good introduction to linear algebra in general and Gilbert Strang is quite good at teaching imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used to represent and manipulate data in mathematics, statistics, and computer science.

2. What is a variable in a matrix?

A variable in a matrix is a symbol that represents an unknown value or quantity. It is typically denoted by a letter and can take on different values, depending on the context.

3. How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns). Simply add or subtract the corresponding elements of the matrices to create a new matrix with the same dimensions.

4. What is the identity matrix?

The identity matrix is a special type of square matrix that has 1s along the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied with any other matrix, it results in the original matrix. It is denoted by the letter "I".

5. How are matrices used in real life?

Matrices are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as computer graphics, economics, physics, and engineering. They are also commonly used in data analysis and machine learning to organize and manipulate large sets of data.