Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematic operations and structures in C

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1
    Hello guys, I was wondering:

say you have a structure:

struct tag{

int a
    char b
    int b
    int c

how would you make int c equal to int a + int b for all variables of type struct tag? I have tried using pointers but it baffles me how you would make a global change in that all variable s of type struct tag would be affected, rather than just specific variables.

thank you for your time.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2
    *variables rather than variable s
  4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'd have to perform the assignment t.c = t.a + t.b for every variable of type tag that you create. There is no such thing as a "global change."

If you decide to use C++ features, you can turn this structure into a class, and then use a member function to calculate c, rather than storing it directly.

- Warren
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4
    If you want to do that it would look like:

Code (Text):
    struct tag{

int a;
    char b2;
    int b;
    int c() { return a + b; }
    But remember, like chroot said, you cannot do this in C, you must be using C++; also did you notice you have two structure elements named "b"...?
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    oops, sorry-heehee!

but wow you can do that in c++, i'd better translate
  7. Jan 28, 2008 #6
    would you have to declare a and b in the meber function c?
  8. Jan 28, 2008 #7
  9. Jan 28, 2008 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, a and b would be class variables (variously called 'member variables,' 'class fields,' 'member fields,' etc.).

- Warren
  10. Jan 29, 2008 #9
    Hey guys I have a problem. When trying to compile this on dev c++ it wpon't let me, as it says I'm trying to make it a function, and when a change struct to a class, it says error before the class name, as well as calling 'private:' and 'public:' errors.
  11. Jan 29, 2008 #10
    in fact, my devc++ compiler does not seem to accept any c++ language-when i enter cout it says 'undeclared variable'. Do you guys know what the problem might be?
  12. Jan 29, 2008 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like the problem is that you don't know C++.

Show us some examples of the code that doesn't work and we'll try to help.

- Warren
  13. Jan 24, 2012 #12
    Did you say #include <iostream>?

If you put "using namespace std;" somewhere near the top of your file, does anything magic happen?
  14. Jan 24, 2012 #13

Homework Helper

You mentioned "C", but you're trying to use a "C++" feature. If you want your source code to be compiled as "C++", the file name extension should be "cpp", not "c", such as "example.cpp" instead of "example.c".
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?