Mathematica: Problem Computing Fisher Information of pdf

In summary, the conversation discusses trying to calculate Fisher information and the Cramer-Rao lower bound for a particular probability density function using Mathematica. The formula for the pdf is given, as well as an attempt to find the integral using the Integrate function. However, Mathematica is unable to compute the integral and returns it unchanged. The conversation then delves into possible reasons for this difficulty and suggests trying to give plausible values for the coefficients to see if that helps Mathematica find a solution.
jcates7
Hello,

I'm trying to calculate Fisher information (and eventually the Cramer-Rao lower bound) for this particular pdf with Mathematica:

[itex]\text{pte}[t,\Theta ] = \frac{P_{\text{ec}}}{\tau _d-\tau _r}\left[e^{\frac{-(t-\Theta )}{\tau _d}}-e^{\frac{-(t-\Theta )}{\tau _r}}\right]; \text{domain}[\text{pte}] = \{t,-\infty,\infty\}\&\&\{\Theta >0\}[/itex]

So I want to find [itex]I(t|\Theta )[/itex]

This seems relatively straightforward with:

[itex]\text{Integrate}\left[D[\text{Log}[\text{pte}],\Theta ]^2,\{t,-\infty ,\infty \}\right][/itex]

However, Mathematica doesn't want to compute the integral. It just returns the integral itself:

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\left(\frac{e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _d}}}{\tau _d}-\frac{e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _r}}}{\tau _r}\right){}^2 \left(\frac{P_{\text{ec}}}{\tau _d-\tau _r}\right)'\left[e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _d}}-e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _r}}\right]{}^2}{\frac{P_{\text{ec}}}{\tau _d-\tau _r}\left[e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _d}}-e^{-\frac{t-\Theta }{\tau _r}}\right]{}^2} \, dt[/itex]

Initially my thought is that there isn't a closed-form solution, but this is something I have seen calculated in journal papers with the same pdf. I'm not an experience Mathematica user. Is there something I have missed in the input (syntax or additional options) or are there any general simplifications that Mathematica would need?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different integrand than you do:

In[1]:= pte[t_,omega_]:=Pec/(taud-taur)(E^-((t-omega)/taud)-E^-((t-omega)/taur));
i=D[Log[pte[t,omega]],omega]^2

Out[2]= (1/(E^((-omega + t)/taud)*taud) - 1/(E^((-omega + t)/taur)*taur))^2/(E^(-((-omega + t)/taud)) - E^(-((-omega + t)/taur)))^2

And if I do an indefinite integral I get

In[3]:= Integrate[i,t]

Out[3]= (-(E^(omega/taud + t/taur)*t*(taud^2 + taud*taur + taur^2)) + E^(t/taud + omega/taur)*(taud*(taud - taur)*taur + t*(taud^2 + taud*taur + taur^2)) - (E^(t/taud + omega/taur) - E^(omega/taud + t/taur))*taud*taur*(taud + taur)*Log[E^(t/taud + omega/taur) - E^(omega/taud + t/taur)])/((E^(t/taud + omega/taur) - E^(omega/taud + t/taur))*taud^2*taur^2)

Have I made a mess out of this somehow?

No, that is the correct equation, and I get the same integrand when I copy it into my notebook. Is there an inherent mathematica function for me to now evaluate the integrand from the indefinite integral?

Should one expect, in general, for mathematica to have difficulties with definite integrals?

Thanks

Definite and indefinite integrals have many different special cases and complexities when dealing with complicated functions. IF we could assume non-negative and perhaps continuous then then we could just subtract the result of substituting your limits of integration. But Mathematica doesn't seem to be able to see what the limit will be without knowing the values for the rest of your coefficients.

What happens if you give plausible values to omega, taur and taud? Do you get sensible results for the definite, or indefinite, integrals then?

Sometimes Mathematica just needs a hint to be able to see how to find a solution. Do you know anything about the domains or relationships between your coefficients?

Dear researcher,

Thank you for your question. The Mathematica code you have provided looks correct and I do not see any errors in the syntax. However, it is possible that Mathematica is unable to compute the integral analytically and is returning the integral itself as the result. In this case, you may need to use numerical integration methods to approximate the value of the integral. Alternatively, you could try using the "Assumptions" option in the Integrate function to specify any assumptions about the parameters or variables in your pdf that may simplify the integral. Additionally, you could also try using the "Simplify" or "FullSimplify" functions to see if Mathematica can simplify the integral further. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a software program used for mathematical and scientific computing. It is commonly used by scientists, engineers, and mathematicians for data analysis, visualization, and problem-solving.

2. What is Fisher Information of a pdf?

Fisher Information is a measure of the amount of information that a probability distribution contains about an unknown parameter. It is used in statistical analysis to quantify how well a given probability distribution can estimate the value of an unknown parameter.

3. How does Mathematica compute Fisher Information of a pdf?

Mathematica has built-in functions and algorithms for computing Fisher Information of a probability distribution. These functions take in the probability distribution as input and use mathematical formulas to calculate the Fisher Information.

4. Can Mathematica handle complex pdfs?

Yes, Mathematica has the ability to handle complex probability distributions, including multivariate distributions and distributions with continuous or discrete variables. It also allows for custom user-defined distributions.

5. What are the advantages of using Mathematica for computing Fisher Information of pdfs?

Mathematica provides a user-friendly interface for performing complex mathematical calculations, making it easier for scientists to analyze data and solve problems. It also has a wide range of built-in functions and algorithms, making it a powerful tool for computing Fisher Information and other statistical measures. Additionally, Mathematica allows for customization and automation, saving time and effort for researchers.