Mathematica: Putting an expression in terms of a specific variable

In summary, the individual is seeking help in using Mathematica to solve an algebraic expression involving variables \[\Alpha], L, \[Gamma], \[Delta], \[Gamma]_a, and \[Gamma]'' for a specific variable, \[Delta]. They have tried using Simplify, FullSimplify, and Solve without success and are looking for assistance with using replacement rules and solving the equation in Mathematica.
camron_m21
My problem is this: I have an algebraic expression, and I want to express it in terms of one variable divided by another. It's a fairly large expression, and I'd like to do it in mathematica before attempting it by hand. I've tried Simplify, FullSimplify and Solve, but none of these have done the trick. Here is the expression:

[tex] \alpha = \frac{L}{(1+I_2)} \left(1 - \frac{I_2 \epsilon \gamma_a}{2 \gamma} \frac{((\gamma_a \gamma'' - \Delta^2)(2 \gamma^2 + \Delta^2) - \Delta^2 (\gamma_a + \gamma) \gamma))}{((\gamma_a \gamma'' - \Delta^2)^2 + \Delta^2 (\gamma_a + \gamma)^2}\right) [/tex]

Where [tex] L = \frac{\gamma^2}{\gamma^2 + \Delta^2} , \gamma_a = q \gamma[/tex] , and [tex] \gamma'' = \gamma (1 + I_2) [/tex].

And I want to solve this as a function of [tex] \frac{\Delta}{\gamma}[/tex]. Does anyone know how to do this in Mathematica?

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially you just need to use the replacement rule
\[CapitalDelta] -> \[Gamma] \[Delta]
then solve for \[Delta].

Provided I typed in your equation properly (not all of the parentheses matched up), the result is a messy cubic in \[Delta]^2.

See the attached Mma file.

Attachments

• SolveForDelta.nb
    8.2 KB · Views: 623

1. How do I put an expression in terms of a specific variable in Mathematica?

To put an expression in terms of a specific variable in Mathematica, you can use the ReplaceAll function (symbol: /.). Simply use the variable you want to substitute as the first argument, followed by the expression you want to manipulate, and then the variable you want to substitute with. For example, x^2+y^2 /. x->a will transform the expression x^2+y^2 into a^2+y^2.

2. Can I use multiple variables in the ReplaceAll function to manipulate an expression?

Yes, you can use multiple variables in the ReplaceAll function to manipulate an expression. Simply separate each substitution with a comma. For example, x^2+y^2 /. {x->a, y->b} will transform the expression x^2+y^2 into a^2+b^2.

3. How can I simplify an expression in terms of a specific variable?

To simplify an expression in terms of a specific variable, you can use the Simplify function. This function will attempt to simplify the expression by performing algebraic operations, factoring, and other simplification techniques. For example, Simplify[x^2+y^2] will simplify the expression to x^2+y^2.

4. What if I want to put an expression in terms of a specific variable but keep some variables unchanged?

If you want to put an expression in terms of a specific variable but keep some variables unchanged, you can use the Replace function (symbol: /.). This function works similarly to ReplaceAll, but it only replaces the first occurrence of the variable. For example, x^2+y^2 /. x->a will transform the expression x^2+y^2 into a^2+y^2, but x^2+y^2 // Replace[x->a] will transform the expression into a^2+y^2.

5. Are there any other built-in functions in Mathematica for manipulating expressions in terms of a specific variable?

Yes, there are other built-in functions in Mathematica for manipulating expressions in terms of a specific variable. Some useful functions include Collect, Factor, and Expand. These functions can help you collect like terms, factor polynomials, and expand expressions, respectively. It is always worth exploring the Mathematica documentation to find the most suitable function for your specific task.