Mathematical approximations in Physics for angles <20 degrees

In summary, for small angles (<20°), it is important to use mathematical approximations in physics. One such approximation is that for small angles, tan a ~ sin a ~ a = (Pia'/180 degrees), where a is in radians and a' is in degrees. By using this approximation, we can simplify calculations and avoid large errors. For example, when finding the largest angle for which tan a may be approximated by a with an error less than 10.0%, we can use a calculator to plug in numbers less than 20 degrees and determine the angle that satisfies this condition. This is useful in applications such as interference patterns, where using the tangent function instead of the sine function can save time and effort in calculations
hyde2042

Homework Statement

62. In physics, it is important to use mathematical approximations.
(a) Demonstrate that for small angles (<20°)

tan a ~ sin a ~ a = (Pia'/180 degrees)

where a is in radians and a' is in degrees. (b) Use a calculator
to find the largest angle for which tan a may be
approximated by a with an error less than 10.0%.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how I would go about this other than plugging in numbers less that 20 degrees, but I wouldn't know what is within ten percent error.

Physics news on Phys.org
hyde2042 said:

Homework Statement

62. In physics, it is important to use mathematical approximations.
(a) Demonstrate that for small angles (<20°)

tan a ~ sin a ~ a = (Pia'/180 degrees)

where a is in radians and a' is in degrees. (b) Use a calculator
to find the largest angle for which tan a may be
approximated by a with an error less than 10.0%.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm unsure how I would go about this other than plugging in numbers less that 20 degrees, but I wouldn't know what is within ten percent error.

If you take sin 30 you get 0.5000. If you take tan 30 you get 0.5773

That is a difference of 0.0773

That represents a percentage error of (0.0773/.5000 * 100)% or 15.5% difference.
That is bigger than 10%.

If the angle is smaller , the error is smaller.
NOTE: error doesn't mean a mistake, it means how far from the real answer would you calculated answer be if you used tan rather than sin - perhaps for some convenience reason.

Oh, as you go from tan (a) to sin (a) to the actual (a) in radians it will be equal to the angle of (a) times Pi over 180?

Edit: Thanks for your time and reply. It feels embarrassing that I should be strugglling with these questions in the first chapter as opposed to all the other questions I've been seeing.

hyde2042 said:
Oh, as you go from tan (a) to sin (a) to the actual (a) in radians it will be equal to the angle of (a) times Pi over 180?

Edit: Thanks for your time and reply. It feels embarrassing that I should be strugglling with these questions in the first chapter as opposed to all the other questions I've been seeing.

the "angle of (a) times Pi over 180" is just there to convert degrees to radians

Ah I see, thank you. It's been a few years since my Trig class.

Follow Up Question.

I understand that tan of a small angle is close to the sine of an angle, but what is the significance of it.

In my book it states for waves that Tsin(theta) for small angles is approximately equal to Ttan(theta) and we should use that instead. My question is why? Why use tangent instead of sine?

Thanks

mbyoung18 said:
I understand that tan of a small angle is close to the sine of an angle, but what is the significance of it.

In my book it states for waves that Tsin(theta) for small angles is approximately equal to Ttan(theta) and we should use that instead. My question is why? Why use tangent instead of sine?

Thanks

depends where your angle is.

If you are looking at an interference pattern on a screen for example.

The source of the pattern (The actual double or single slit) is, say, 1 m from a screen.
If the feature (max or min) you are working with it 2cm off centre, then the angle to that feature has a tangent of 2/100.
If there is another feature 3cm off centre, then the angle to that feature has a tangent of 3/100.

If you were after the sine of each of those angles you would have to measure the direct distance to each feature in turn. (tan is opposite/adjacent; sin is opposite/hypoteneuse)

If the sin and tan value are basically the same, you are saved that problem.

You would also be saved the problem if the subsequent formulae you were using had the tan function in them, but I think the formulae include sine.

1. What are mathematical approximations in physics?

Mathematical approximations in physics are simplified mathematical calculations that are used to make calculations easier and more manageable. These approximations are often used when dealing with complex physical systems or when the exact solution is difficult to obtain.

2. What are angles less than 20 degrees?

Angles less than 20 degrees are angles that measure less than 20 degrees in a geometric shape. In physics, these angles are often used to represent small angles or changes in angles in various physical phenomena.

3. Why are mathematical approximations used in physics for angles less than 20 degrees?

Mathematical approximations are used in physics for angles less than 20 degrees because these small angles can be difficult to measure accurately and can lead to errors in calculations. By using approximations, physicists can simplify the calculations and still obtain results that are close to the exact solution.

4. What are some common mathematical approximations used for angles less than 20 degrees?

Some common mathematical approximations used for angles less than 20 degrees include the small-angle approximation, the tangent approximation, and the sine approximation. These approximations are often used in various physics equations to simplify calculations.

5. What are the limitations of using mathematical approximations for angles less than 20 degrees?

While mathematical approximations can be useful in simplifying calculations, they are not always accurate and can lead to errors in results. Additionally, these approximations may not be suitable for all physical systems and may not account for all factors that affect the angle measurement.