Please help with refraction problem (algebra-based physics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the angle at which a ray of light emerges from the surface of a swimming pool after being directed upward by a flashlight at the bottom of the pool. The speaker attempted to find the angle of incidence using the arc tangent function and then solved Snell's Law, but encountered a domain error when plugging in the values. This was due to the angle being measured from the surface rather than the normal. The conversation concludes with the speaker expressing gratitude for the clarification and mentioning the possibility of total internal reflection causing a domain error in similar situations.
mirracle4
A flashlight on the bottom of a 4.10 m deep swimming pool sends a ray upward and at an angle so that the ray strikes the surface of the water 2.25 m from the point directly above the flashlight. What angle (in air) does the emerging ray make with the water's surface?

I attempted to find the angle of incidence by using the lengths given and the arc tangent function and then to plug it into Snell's Law (n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2).

For the angle, I got 61.2 degrees by doing "inverse tan(4.10/2.25)." However, when solving Snell's Law for θ2 and plugging in all of the values, the calculator keeps saying "domain error." I'm plugging in... "inverse sin((n1sin61.2)/1.00) and I keep getting the error message. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
mirracle4 said:
A flashlight on the bottom of a 4.10 m deep swimming pool sends a ray upward and at an angle so that the ray strikes the surface of the water 2.25 m from the point directly above the flashlight. What angle (in air) does the emerging ray make with the water's surface?

I attempted to find the angle of incidence by using the lengths given and the arc tangent function and then to plug it into Snell's Law (n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2).

For the angle, I got 61.2 degrees by doing "inverse tan(4.10/2.25)." However, when solving Snell's Law for θ2 and plugging in all of the values, the calculator keeps saying "domain error." I'm plugging in... "inverse sin((n1sin61.2)/1.00) and I keep getting the error message. Please help!
Hello mirracle4. Welcome to PF !

Domain error, no doubt, results from you asking the calculator to find the arcsine of something greater than 1.

Is angle of incidence measured from the surface, or from the normal to the surface?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Hello mirracle4. Welcome to PF !

Domain error, no doubt, results from you asking the calculator to find the arcsine of something greater than 1.

Is angle of incidence measure from the surface, or from the normal to the surface?

Thanks SammyS! I got it right this time. I should have known that the angle I was using was the angle measured from the surface rather than the normal but somehow it slipped my mind.

mirracle4 said:
Thanks SammyS! I got it right this time. I should have known that the angle I was using was the angle measured from the surface rather than the normal but somehow it slipped my mind.
It's good that you got it right now.

It's a mistake that I think we all have made some time or other. By the way, if in the future you have that domain error with Snell's Law, but you have done everything correctly, it's likely that it's a situation involving total internal reflection.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
It's good that you got it right now.

It's a mistake that I think we all have made some time or other. By the way, if in the future you have that domain error with Snell's Law, but you have done everything correctly, it's likely that it's a situation involving total internal reflection.

Good to know :smile:

What is refraction and how does it work?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums. This is due to the change in speed of light in different materials. When light enters a medium with a different density, it changes direction and travels at a different speed.

How is refraction related to algebra-based physics?

Algebra-based physics uses mathematical equations to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems, including the refraction of light. By using algebra, we can better understand and calculate the effects of refraction on light rays.

Can you provide an example of a refraction problem in algebra-based physics?

An example of a refraction problem in algebra-based physics is calculating the angle of refraction when a light ray passes through a glass block with a known index of refraction. This can be solved using the Snell's Law equation, which relates the angle of incidence, angle of refraction, and the indices of refraction of the two mediums.

What factors affect the amount of refraction in a material?

The amount of refraction in a material is affected by the speed of light in that material, which is determined by the material's index of refraction. The angle at which the light ray enters and exits the material also plays a role, as well as the shape and thickness of the material.

How is refraction used in real-world applications?

Refraction is used in many real-world applications, such as eyeglasses, microscopes, telescopes, and cameras. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of light in water and air, which has important implications in fields like meteorology and oceanography.