Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical conundrum when adding complex exponentials

1. May 22, 2015 #1
    Hi there,

Once again I find myself twiddling around with some quantum mechanics, and I bumped into something I find strange. I can't see what the error of my thinking is, so I hope someone could be able to point it out.

I'm looking at solutions to the infinite square well, and arrive at the simple differential equation

[tex] \frac{d^2\Psi}{dx^2} = -k^2 \Psi [/tex]

The solution to this can be written in terms of complex exponentials or sines and cosines. I bumped into the wierd stuff when I use complex exponentials.

So the general solution in that case would be

##\Psi(x) = Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}##

Now, what I then started thinking was: "Hmmm... This could be viewed mathematically as a sum of two vectors, and solution is simply another vector."

So I drew this picture to illustrate the idea:

?temp_hash=98f0bfa6626fe3330472390e3bfc5456.png
    So from that perspective it seems that the solution could also be written as

##\Psi(x) = Ce^{ik'x}##

However, using the simple constraints of the infinite square well quickly leads to problems - namely:

##|\Psi(0)|^2 = 0##

##C = 0##

So.... Now really what I had hoped for. Where am I going taking a wrong turn? Has it to do with the x? That x should be x' also?

Thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The problem is that your ##k'## is going to be a function of ##x##. As such, you can not assume it to be constant and apply derivatives to the wave function with that assumption.

4. May 22, 2015 #3

Strilanc

Science Advisor

Consider that ##e^{ix} + e^{-ix}## is equal to ##2 cos(x)## and so has no net imaginary component for all x. But a single ##e^{kix}## always has some net imaginary component (for finite ##k## and ##x##).

5. May 22, 2015 #4
    Thanks guys!

I gave it some more thought and think I nailed it down now.

I have another question now thought, but I'm gonna make another thread for it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook