1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Mathematical model of a phenomenon

1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    I wanna know how can I begin to exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

You could start by giving us a hint. What are you talking about?

4. Oct 1, 2016 #3
    First of all, you probably need physical principles.

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To exercise a model one way is to feed it data and see if the model behaves the same as the real world.

6. Oct 4, 2016 #5
    which part you did not understand?

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6
    Wadda-ya-mean by the term "exercise the representation of a phenomenon in a mathematical model." As an engineering professional who has had 35 years of industrial experience developing and applying mathematical models of physical systems, I have never heard this term before.

8. Oct 4, 2016 #7
    I think i did not use the right words. I am from Brasil. Sorry for the bad english. What I want to understand is how someone understand physical systems mathematically.

9. Oct 4, 2016 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thank you very much for clarifying this. Yes, your previous post was a bit aggressive to English-only speakers. It's a classic intellectual retort to say "which word did you not understand". I've used it at times, but never at the PF. :smile:

10. Oct 4, 2016 #9
  11. Oct 4, 2016 #10

russ_watters

I don't think it is about using the right or wrong words, I just think you didn't use enough of them. What physical system? What part of it are you wanting to model? For what purpose? For example, today, I modeled the energy use of a fan -- will that be helpful to you...?

12. Oct 25, 2016 #11
  13. Oct 25, 2016 #12
    @Chestermiller post in this thread helped me a lot: https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...roach-think-of-a-problem.712959/#post-4521833
    Do you have a different strategy to develop a mathematical model of a physical system?

14. Oct 25, 2016 #13

russ_watters

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted