Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical notation to multiply matrix elements

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I need to figure out the mathematical notation to multiply matricies A and B = C so that...

If matrix A is...
    a1
    a2
    a3
    a4
    a5

and matrix B is...
    b1
    b2
    b3
    b4
    b5

so that matric C is...
    a1*b1
    a2*b2
    a3*b3
    a4*b4
    a5*b5

Would this involve using a the transverse of a matrix?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like the componentwise multiplication of vectors to me.

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That is, the dot product of two vectors.

5. Apr 18, 2010 #4
    When I calculate the doct product of those two matricies, won't I get a single scalar value?

6. Apr 18, 2010 #5
    Okay, I found what I was looking for. It's called a Hadamard product. The Hadamard product A and B produces matrix C so that C_i,j = A_i,j * B_i,j.

Is there any way to compute this using common mathematical operators (such as inverse, transpose, dot product, cross product)?

The reason I ask is because I'm doing a homework assignment in Mathcad calculating power requirements of a car at certain speeds. I'm just assigning the speeds to a single-column matrix and the resistant forces to a single-column matrix. I want to output a power matrix.

If I can't figure it out, I'll just have to manually assign a force and velocity variable to each speed, but there must be a way to do this more easily.

7. Apr 19, 2010 #6

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what Mathcad is, but in Matlab you would write this sort of multiplication as .* instead of just *. (That last period just ends the sentence of course).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook