1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematical physics textbook with solutions in it?

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
    Hello I'm taking a mathematical physics course which has heavy emphasis on algebraic structures. The course has no required textbook but I want one anyway for extra practice. All of the books I see at my library all have no solutions in them which makes it frustrating because then I don't know if I got the question right. Anyone have any tips.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2013 #2
    You could try this book by Sean Mauch of Caltech. It's HUGE and contains over 2000 pages of mathematical physics with exercises and solutions, though I don't think it contains anything on Algebraic Structures. Are you saying it's a math physics course with a focus on abstract algebra?

In that case, I would maybe recommend The Theory of Groups and Its Application to Physical Problems , an older book by Bhagavantam and Venkatarayudu, which you can find here.

You could also try:

Rowlatt - Group Theory and Elementary Particles

And if you're just looking for good abstract algebra books...

Artin - Abstract Algebra
    Dummit and Foote - Abstract Algebra
    Lang - Algebra or Undergraduate Algebra

Or these awesome lecture notes covering a ton of different aspects of abstract algebra by J. S. Milne, a mathematician from New Zealand.

Or graduate abstract algebra lecture notes by PhysicsForums's own mathwonk here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook