Mathematical Physics vs Theoretical Physics

In summary, Mathematical Physics is focused on the mathematics behind physics problems, while Theoretical Physics is focused on the physics itself.
Niflheim
Hello PF, pardon me if this isn't the wrong place but I just had a quick question. So I have always wanted to do Theoretical Physics (particular interests are Quantum Gravity, Cosmology, QFT and Quantum Optics, but those are subject to change), but recently I have started to look into Mathematical Physics. Apart from finding out that Mathematical Physicists work on String Theory and Cosmology, which are my primary interests, I really don't know whether I would be more suited to Mathematical or Theoretical Physics.

So can someone please describe the work that that Theoretical and Mathematical Physicists do, and what is the difference between them?

Thanks for any and all replies!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some universities have a "mathematical physics" research program in the MATH department as as opposed to the physics department. That, I'm guessing, would be the difference. Mathematical physicists are concerned with the mathematical tools needed to do physics, I believe.

Another area that could be considered "mathematical physics" might be fluid dynamics and kinetic theory...there is much work being done in math departments on differential equations that are inspired by these fields of physics. See Cédric Villani, Fields Medalist.

"Mathematical" anything tends to be academics that are more concerned and intrigued by the actual mathematics behind novel problems, not the problems themselves. Theoretical physicists tend to be more concerned with the actual solving of the problem or the formulation of a theory to suggest rather than the beauty of the mathematics which are being used.

I see. So Theoretical would be better for someone who cares about the math more as a means to an end, like if I cared more about the answer than the math behind it?

On a very basic level, yes. Truthfully, there is a lot of collaboration between the fields.

My best answer is, go the best undergrad program you can get into and ask more educated questions when you are contemplating postgrad options.

Likes Arsenic&Lace
Okay, thanks a lot! That helped a bunch.

1. What is the difference between mathematical physics and theoretical physics?

Mathematical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical methods to study physical phenomena. It focuses on developing mathematical models and equations to describe and predict the behavior of physical systems. Theoretical physics, on the other hand, is a broad field that uses mathematical and conceptual frameworks to explore and explain the fundamental principles of nature.

2. Can you give an example of a topic studied in mathematical physics?

One example of a topic studied in mathematical physics is quantum mechanics. This field uses mathematical tools such as linear algebra and probability theory to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic levels. Mathematical physics also plays a crucial role in other areas of physics such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

3. How does theoretical physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Theoretical physics helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of the universe. It allows us to make predictions about phenomena that cannot be observed directly and provides a framework for developing new theories and models to explain the complex interactions of the physical world.

4. Is there a clear boundary between mathematical physics and theoretical physics?

While the two fields are closely related and often overlap, there is no clear boundary between mathematical physics and theoretical physics. Both use mathematics to study physical phenomena, but the emphasis may differ. Mathematical physics tends to focus more on developing mathematical models and equations, while theoretical physics may also incorporate philosophical and conceptual discussions.

5. What are some career options for those interested in mathematical physics or theoretical physics?

There are many career options for individuals interested in mathematical physics or theoretical physics. Some common paths include working as a research scientist in academia, government, or industry, teaching at the university level, or pursuing a career in data science, finance, or engineering. Both fields also offer opportunities for interdisciplinary work in fields such as biophysics, astrophysics, and materials science.