Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics/AI and a School Cheating

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

An interesting article on how tools like Mathematica are changing the way teachers teach:

https://www.wired.com/story/ai-is-making-it-extremely-easy-for-students-to-cheat/

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will happily admit to using Wolfram Alpha as a tool in my daily work. It is great for finding conversion factors without having to look them up or multiplying different factors yourself, which is very prone to errors and resulting order of magnitude issues. For actual math, Mathematica is both faster and more reliable.

4. Jul 8, 2017 #3

jedishrfu

This article brings back the idea that khan academy suggested where homework was done in class and class work i.e. Watching khan academy videos was done at home. In this way, students would not be able to,call upon Mathematica or other tools to cheat.

5. Jul 8, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am not sure Khan academy was first to suggest this. The approach is similar to flipped classroom and you can also add quizzes to your videos to make them more interactive (I have done this) and reduce the risk of students alt-tabbing to facebook.

6. Jul 9, 2017 #5

jedishrfu

I heard Salman Khan describe how Khan Academy videos were used in some schools in a TED talk and thought he had suggested the strategy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted