1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Summer mathematics internship for high school students?

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    I am looking for summer internships this year. I originally wanted to try Wolfram but they require people who know computer programming or mathematica(which I would have to enroll into their summer camp to learn more about) so this seems to be out of the question. I wonder if I could shadow a lecturer or researcher at a University(Cambridge is obviously too ambitious because, let's face it, who would want a lower 6th student bothering them for days?) I have had brief interactions with Professor Imre Leader from Cambridge though - should I ask him whether there will be any slight chance that I might be able to get an internship or would it be just a waste of effort? Where else would be good places to get mathematics work experience? If this helps, my favorite branch in mathematics is abstract algebra.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2
    You could certainly try but I wouldn't put too much hope on it.

The best use of your time, imo, would be to pick up a few books on your local library and study from then for however many hours a day you'd spend shadowing someone. Off of the top of my head, I'll go ahead and reccomend;
    Introduction to Linear Algebra - G Strang
    Modern Algebra with Applications - W Gilbert
    How to Prove it - A Structured Approach - D Velleman

I'm assuming here you want to study mathematics at university here ofc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook