Summer mathematics internship for high school students?

In summary, the individual is looking for summer internships and initially wanted to try Wolfram, but they require knowledge of computer programming or Mathematica. They are considering shadowing a lecturer or researcher at a university, but are unsure if it would be possible at Cambridge. They have had brief interactions with a professor from Cambridge and are wondering if they should ask about internship opportunities. They also ask for recommendations for other places to gain mathematics work experience and mention their interest in abstract algebra. The responder suggests studying from books instead of shadowing and recommends specific titles.
huey910
I am looking for summer internships this year. I originally wanted to try Wolfram but they require people who know computer programming or mathematica(which I would have to enroll into their summer camp to learn more about) so this seems to be out of the question. I wonder if I could shadow a lecturer or researcher at a University(Cambridge is obviously too ambitious because, let's face it, who would want a lower 6th student bothering them for days?) I have had brief interactions with Professor Imre Leader from Cambridge though - should I ask him whether there will be any slight chance that I might be able to get an internship or would it be just a waste of effort? Where else would be good places to get mathematics work experience? If this helps, my favorite branch in mathematics is abstract algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
You could certainly try but I wouldn't put too much hope on it.

The best use of your time, imo, would be to pick up a few books on your local library and study from then for however many hours a day you'd spend shadowing someone. Off of the top of my head, I'll go ahead and reccomend;
Introduction to Linear Algebra - G Strang
Modern Algebra with Applications - W Gilbert
How to Prove it - A Structured Approach - D Velleman

I'm assuming here you want to study mathematics at university here ofc.

1. What is a summer mathematics internship for high school students?

A summer mathematics internship for high school students is an opportunity for high school students to gain hands-on experience in the field of mathematics by working on research projects or assisting with ongoing research at a university or research institution. It allows students to explore their interest in mathematics and gain valuable skills and knowledge.

2. Who is eligible for a summer mathematics internship for high school students?

Eligibility requirements may vary depending on the specific internship program, but generally, students who are currently enrolled in high school and have a strong interest in mathematics are eligible. Some programs may also have academic requirements, such as a minimum GPA or specific math courses completed.

3. How do I apply for a summer mathematics internship for high school students?

To apply for a summer mathematics internship, you will typically need to submit an application form, a resume, and a personal statement explaining your interest in mathematics and why you want to participate in the internship. Some programs may also require letters of recommendation from teachers or mentors. Application deadlines may vary, so it is important to research and apply to programs early.

4. What can I expect to gain from a summer mathematics internship for high school students?

Participating in a summer mathematics internship can provide you with valuable skills and experiences, such as learning how to conduct research, working with advanced mathematical concepts, and collaborating with other students and researchers. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide insight into potential career paths in mathematics.

5. Are summer mathematics internships for high school students paid?

Some summer mathematics internships may offer a stipend or hourly pay, but this varies depending on the program. Some internships may also provide housing or transportation assistance. It is important to research the specific program you are interested in to determine if it is paid or not.