Mathematics for a physics undergraduate

In summary, this person recommends studying differential geometry, linear algebra, and representation theory if they want to pursue a career in high-energy physics.
woody4064
Hello,
I have just finished my second year of a theoretical physics degree (MPhys) at the University of Nottingham in the UK. I now have three months with relatively few commitments, and would like to learn some additional maths that would be useful, but am unsure what topics I should study. Given that I do a lot of general relativity over the next two years, and I hope to do a PhD in particle theory, could anyone give me advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential geometry might be beneficial.

woody4064 said:
Hello,
Given that I do a lot of general relativity over the next two years, and I hope to do a PhD in particle theory, could anyone give me advice?

What do you already know?

WannabeNewton said:
What do you already know?

Nth order ODEs with constant coefficients, Fourier transforms, using Fourier and separation of variables to solve PDEs, very basic stuff on tensors (as in, I know what they are, I know tensor notation but the only one I've ever used greater than order 2 is the Levi-Civita tensor), generating functions, vector calculus, and enough calculus of variations to derive the classical Lagrangian. Fairly typical stuff for a second year theoretical student.

Presumably if you've seen Fourier series solutions to PDEs then you've also seen solutions to simple Sturm–Liouville systems using Legendre polynomials, spherical harmonics, and Bessel functions, particularly in the context of Frobenius' method in QM or Laplace's equation in EM? If not then you might want to pick that up from a book on mathematical methods in physics (e.g. Arfken). If you've gotten that down then make sure you also spend some time on contour integration and the residue theorem/Laurent series; you will also find this in Arfken.

I'm also assuming you know linear algebra inside and out at this point, which you probably do given that you're second year. Then as far as general relativity goes, the only thing you would really need to spend time on with regards to math is differential geometry. You can go ahead and try to learn it from a pure math book if you wish-you'll find tons of threads here and elsewhere suggesting books for that. Or you could just start studying GR now and pickup the differential geometry as you go along since all GR books will have a few chapters on the necessary aspects of it.

The only other thing I can think of that would be of great use to you is representation theory, if your interest is HEPT. You can again go the pure math route here but you would probably be much better served going through a book on rep theory that has a physics student in mind. Some time ago the user dextercioby recommend to me the following: https://www.amazon.com/dp/3211834435/?tag=pfamazon01-20 and I've found it to be absolutely brilliant so you should check it out.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the role of mathematics in physics?

The role of mathematics in physics is to provide a language and framework for understanding and describing the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world. Mathematics allows us to make precise and testable predictions about the behavior of physical systems, and to develop mathematical models to represent and explain complex phenomena.

2. What are the most important mathematical concepts for a physics undergraduate?

The most important mathematical concepts for a physics undergraduate include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. These concepts provide the foundation for understanding fundamental principles in physics, such as motion, forces, and energy.

3. How do I improve my mathematical skills for physics?

To improve your mathematical skills for physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from professors or tutors when needed. It can also be helpful to review basic mathematical concepts and techniques, and to familiarize yourself with mathematical software and programming languages commonly used in physics.

4. How does mathematics help in problem-solving in physics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in problem-solving in physics by providing a systematic and logical approach. It allows us to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, and to use mathematical tools and techniques to analyze and solve these parts. Mathematics also helps us to make predictions and test the validity of our solutions.

5. Are there any specific branches of mathematics that are particularly important for physics?

Yes, there are several branches of mathematics that are particularly important for physics, including calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and vector calculus. Other branches such as complex analysis, group theory, and differential geometry also have applications in physics and can be useful for understanding advanced topics in the field.