Mathematics Handbook: Bronstein vs Riley

• Thread starter germana2006
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the speaker looking for a handbook of mathematics for their PhD studies and asking for recommendations between Handbook of mathematics: Bronstein and Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide: Riley. The expert summarizer recommends Bronstein as it is highly regarded by German physics students and engineers. They also suggest "das gelbe Rechenbuch 1-3" for basic Calculus and Linear Algebra.
germana2006
Hello,

I am looking for a handbook of mathematics to buy and to look when I need some mathematic help during my PhD instead to look in my students notes. I am looking for this two books, what do you think about them? Which recomended me to buy?

Handbook of mathematics: Bronstein
Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide: Riley

Physics news on Phys.org
germana2006 said:
Hello,

I am looking for a handbook of mathematics to buy and to look when I need some mathematic help during my PhD instead to look in my students notes. I am looking for this two books, what do you think about them? Which recomended me to buy?

Handbook of mathematics: Bronstein
Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide: Riley

I can only comment on Bronstein. It is THE BOOK. The majority of German physics students owns it as well as many engineers. There are a few weaknesses (more group theory would be nice, one or two bad definitions) But I have yet to find a Physicist who disliked it. Still it does not explain anything, and is just for looking up integrals, or definitions, or solutions to common problems, or algorithms, or mathematica commands, or ...

If you are German I would also recommend "das gelbe Rechenbuch 1-3" which has more of a recipe approach, and will help with basic Calculus and Linear Algebra.

I would highly recommend both books as valuable resources for mathematics in your PhD studies. Both Bronstein's Handbook of Mathematics and Riley's Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering are comprehensive guides that cover a wide range of topics in mathematics.

Bronstein's handbook is known for its extensive coverage of advanced mathematical concepts and its clear and concise explanations. It is a go-to reference for many mathematicians and scientists. However, it may be more suitable for those with a strong background in mathematics as it can be quite technical.

On the other hand, Riley's book is specifically geared towards physics and engineering, making it a great resource for those in those fields. It also includes practical examples and applications, making it easier to understand and apply the concepts.

Ultimately, the choice between the two may depend on your specific needs and background in mathematics. If you are more comfortable with advanced mathematics, Bronstein's handbook may be the better option. If you are looking for a more practical and applied approach, Riley's book may be the better choice. I would suggest flipping through both books and seeing which one resonates more with you.

1. What is the difference between Bronstein and Riley's Mathematics Handbook?

Bronstein and Riley's Mathematics Handbook are two popular reference books used by students and mathematicians. The main difference between them is that Bronstein's handbook focuses on theoretical mathematics, while Riley's handbook covers both theoretical and applied mathematics.

2. Is the Mathematics Handbook suitable for all levels of math learners?

Yes, the Mathematics Handbook is suitable for all levels of math learners. It covers a wide range of topics from basic algebra to advanced calculus, making it useful for both beginner and advanced mathematicians.

3. Can the Mathematics Handbook be used as a textbook replacement?

No, the Mathematics Handbook is not meant to be a replacement for a textbook. It is designed as a reference book to supplement and support textbook learning. It provides concise explanations and formulas, but does not include in-depth examples or practice problems.

4. Is Bronstein vs Riley's Mathematics Handbook available in digital format?

Yes, both Bronstein and Riley's Mathematics Handbook are available in digital format. They can be purchased as e-books or viewed online through various platforms.

5. Are there any updates to the Mathematics Handbook?

Yes, the Mathematics Handbook is constantly being updated to include new topics and developments in the field of mathematics. It is important to check for the latest edition to ensure you have the most up-to-date information.