Mathematics in Physics vs Business/Econs

In summary, the difficulty level of mathematics in physics is much higher than that in undergraduate business/economics courses. However, you may choose to pursue mathematical economics which involves complex math as well. The level of math in mathematical economics may be comparable to that in physics or math degree programs, but it is usually not introduced until later years of undergraduate or graduate studies.
WWCY
Hi guys, I'm whether or not the difficulty in undergraduate business /economics mathematics matches up to that of physics, or even vice versa. This is mainly because I'm trying to make decision on whether or not to take up business/economics as an elective course alongside my Physics major.

Any opinions and suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
The mathematics is physics will be way harder than that in business and economics. Of course, you can go for mathematical economics, which has pretty rough mathematics itself.

micromass said:
The mathematics is physics will be way harder than that in business and economics. Of course, you can go for mathematical economics, which has pretty rough mathematics itself.
Thanks for the info. What's the scope of math in mathematical econs and its difficulty level compared to physics then?

WWCY said:
Thanks for the info. What's the scope of math in mathematical econs and its difficulty level compared to physics then?

Since I assume you are talking about undergrad, I can say that the mathematical level in physics far surpasses the equivalent in an introductory business or economics class.

micromass is correct in saying that scope of math in mathematical economics can be extensive, but it's unlikely you'll see any of this until senior (maybe 3rd or 4th year) economics class at a minimum (more likely in 1st year graduate level economics classes), and the level of mathematics would about on par with what you would learn in a physics or math degree program at any rate.

StatGuy2000 said:
Since I assume you are talking about undergrad, I can say that the mathematical level in physics far surpasses the equivalent in an introductory business or economics class.

micromass is correct in saying that scope of math in mathematical economics can be extensive, but it's unlikely you'll see any of this until senior (maybe 3rd or 4th year) economics class at a minimum (more likely in 1st year graduate level economics classes), and the level of mathematics would about on par with what you would learn in a physics or math degree program at any rate.

Thanks for the insight, cheers :)

1. How is mathematics used in physics?

Mathematics is used in physics to describe and quantify the physical world. It helps to create precise and accurate models and equations that can explain and predict the behavior of objects and systems in the universe. Many fundamental principles in physics, such as Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of relativity, are expressed mathematically.

2. How is mathematics used in business and economics?

Mathematics is used in business and economics to analyze and interpret data, make predictions and projections, and optimize decision-making. In finance, for example, mathematical models are used to determine risk and return, and to understand market trends. In economics, mathematical models are used to study supply and demand, consumer behavior, and other factors that affect the economy.

3. What are the main differences between mathematics in physics vs business/economics?

In physics, mathematics is used to study the natural world and its physical laws. It is focused on understanding and explaining the behavior of objects and systems in the universe. In business and economics, mathematics is used to analyze and make decisions related to economic systems, markets, and financial data. It is focused on understanding and predicting human behavior and its impact on the economy.

4. How does the level of mathematics used in physics compare to that used in business/economics?

The level of mathematics used in physics is generally more advanced and complex compared to that used in business and economics. In physics, advanced mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra are commonly used to solve complex problems. In business and economics, basic mathematical concepts such as algebra, statistics, and probability are more commonly used, with some applications of more advanced concepts depending on the specific field of study.

5. Can the principles of mathematics in physics be applied to business and economics?

Yes, some principles of mathematics in physics can be applied to business and economics. For example, the use of mathematical models to analyze data and make predictions is common in both fields. However, the specific applications and techniques may vary due to the different focus and goals of physics and business/economics.