Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mathematics Text: Need the title!

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    Hi,

I was reading a general mathematics/ number theory (at least college level) book (NOT a textbook) at Barnes & Noble about a year ago. I can't remember the title but maybe someone on here does...

In this book there was an example of a cat in pursuit of a mouse problem using complex functions in particular the Euler function. The mouse was traveling along a unit circle and the cat was given a velocity slightly greater than that of the mouse and a position somewhere inside the unit circle. Also the cats velocity was always in the direction of the mouse as it moves around the circle. Finally, it determined where the paths of the cat and mouse would intersect.

Also in this book there was an example of a man and his dog running along some path where the dog is always some fixed distance away from the man. As they are running the path may twist and wind in whatever direction. They showed using complex integration and phase calculations how to determine the extra distance traveled by dog.

Does anyone know the title and author of this book? Hope enough information was given.

V

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2007 #2
    it might be: Chases and Escapes: The Mathematics of Pursuit and Evasion by Paul J. Nahin.

but it came out in july, so i don't know if it's the book you're talking about.

hope this helps

4. Oct 29, 2007 #3
    Hi Mongoose,

Although this isn't the book, after looking through the TOC it looks VERY interesting and probably has what I'm looking for in at least one of the examples and maybe even more information about other scenarios. Thanks so much.

V

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?