1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering mathematics text beyond Kreyzig

1. Jan 2, 2014 #1
    i'm a mechanical engineer student, 1st year.

currently follwing erwin kreyzig, im intersted in solving complex type of problems but couldnt find much in erwn kreyzig. it has only beginninng level easy questions.

is there a book that you can suggest which has tough and complex engineering mathematics problem...?

thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what you mean by 'complex type of problems'. More information about the type of problem you are looking for would be helpful.

Kreyszig has gone thru several editions, but at one time it was a popular text for higher level engineering mathematics, like complex analysis and vector calculus.

Have you tried Mary Boas, "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences"? It's a bit dated, but there seem to be a variety of different problems in this book. If you are a diligent searcher, you can find a copy online.

4. Jan 4, 2014 #3
    by complex type, i mean the problems which is twisted and generally based on different concepts to solve it.
    for example like jee advanced and main problems ....

5. Jan 6, 2014 #4
    I'm surprised that you're a first year engineering student and you find Kreyszig too easy. Most of the topics in Kreyszig (vector calculus, partial differential equations, fourier transforms, complex analysis, etc.) are well beyond anything I learned in first year...

That being said, Kreyszig isn't meant to teach you all the math you would ever need to know as an engineer, it's meant as an overview of some of the most important areas of math to an engineer. If you want something more advanced than Kreyszig, you're going to want to specialize. For example, if you need to know about partial differential equations and you find Kreyszig isn't detailed enough for you or the problems aren't difficult enough, then you would buy a partial differential equations book. If you want some advanced control systems problems which use complex analysis, then you would buy a control systems book.

I really doubt you're going to find a single book which gives you really advanced math problems in all the areas engineers deal with. Such a book would be enormous.

6. Jan 8, 2014 #5
    Thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted