Solve Maths Competition Problems: Sum a+b & Logarithm X

In summary, the first problem involves finding the sum of two positive integers represented by the repeating decimal 0.8451\bar{51} and the second problem involves finding the value of x in the equation log(log(log(log x))) = 0, where log represents the base ten logarithm. The suggested approach for the first problem is to break the repeating decimal into a sum of two numbers, while the suggested approach for the second problem is to use the property of logarithms to find the value of x.
Kushal
these are numbers i could not solve. please help me.

Homework Statement

1) If the repeating decimal 0.8451[tex]\bar{51}[/tex] is represented by the fraction a/b, where a and b are positive integers with no common factors greater than 1, find the sum a + b.

2) if log(log(log(log x))) = 0 and log represents the base ten logarith, what is the value of x.

The Attempt at a Solution

1) i don't understand how to proceed. some hints would be appreciated.

2)i kno that if, logba = x

then, a = bx

i got 10100 as answer but the paper says the answer is 1010,000,000,000 is the answer.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
For b why don't you show us how you can your answer, writing out every step in full.

For a, it is the same as finding a number 0.51515151... (and then adding 84 and dividing by 100). Do you know how you would find such a number?

2) log(log(log(log x))) = 0

log(log(log x)) = 100 = 1

log(log x) = 101 = 10

log x = 1010

x = 101010oooh ok... now i see my mistake! i tried doing the calculation in my head... so foolish of my parterrm, for #1
d'you mean that i should break the 0.8451515151 into 0.84 + 0.005151515151 ?!

thnks

Kushal said:
errm, for #1
d'you mean that i should break the 0.8451515151 into 0.84 + 0.005151515151 ?!

thnks

Yes that's how I would approach the problem. Now can you find a fraction to represent 0.005151515... ?
If you don't know how, you should read the section entitled "Fraction from a repeating decimal" here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurring_decimal

1. What is the significance of sum a+b in maths competition problems?

The sum a+b is a basic mathematical operation that involves adding two numbers together. In maths competition problems, this operation is often used to test a student's ability to perform simple calculations quickly and accurately.

2. How can I improve my skills in solving maths competition problems involving sum a+b?

The best way to improve your skills is to practice regularly. Find online resources or textbooks with a variety of competition problems involving sum a+b and solve as many as you can. Also, try to understand the different strategies and techniques used to solve these problems.

3. What is the concept of logarithm X in maths competition problems?

A logarithm is the inverse operation of an exponent. In competition problems, logarithm X is often used to solve equations or find the value of a variable. It is an important concept to understand in order to solve more complex problems involving exponents and equations.

4. How can I effectively use logarithm X to solve maths competition problems?

To effectively use logarithm X, you need to have a good understanding of its properties and rules. Make sure to practice solving different types of problems involving logarithms and familiarize yourself with common patterns and techniques used to solve them.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving maths competition problems involving sum a+b and logarithm X?

One helpful tip is to look for patterns and simplify the problem as much as possible before attempting to solve it. Also, make sure to check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation. Additionally, practicing regularly and familiarizing yourself with different problem-solving strategies can also improve your skills in solving these types of problems.