1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving logarithmic and exponential equations

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm trying to solve trying logarithmic and exponential equations but for the life of me I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

2. Relevant equations
    Log equation: log3(x+2)+1 = log3x²+4x
    Exp equation: 2x + 2x+1 = 3

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first one, here's what I did:
    • 1 = log3(x²+4x) - log3(x+2)
    • log3((x²+4x)/(x+2)) = 1
    • log3((x² +4x)/(x+2)) = 1
    • log3((x+4x)/2) = 1 --Can I do this? Dividing the denominator and numerator by the same value within a log
    • log3(x+2x) = 1
    • log3(3x) = 1
    • log33 + log3x = 1
    • 1 + log3x = 1
    • log3x = 0
    • x = 1

And then for the second one:
    • 2x + 2x+1 = 3
    • I figured I'd put them all on the same base so I tried to find 2 to what power equals 3
    • So I did ln(3)/ln(2) = 1.584962501, which for simplicity's sake I'll replace by y here
    • And when I put in 2y in my calculator it does give me 3 so it must be correct
    • x + x + 1 = y
    • 2x + 1 = y
    • x = (y-1)/2
    But when I put the result back in the original equations, none of the answers I found seem to be correct.
    I'm at my wit's end here, I don't know what else to try.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

For the log expression on the right side, do you mean log3(x2 + 4x)? That seems to be what you're doing in your work below.
    • I have no idea what you did. How did you go from (x2 + 4x)/(x + 2) to (x + 4x)/2? That's not a valid step.
    • Where did this (above) come from?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. Oct 15, 2013 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That should be written: log3(x+2)+1 = log3(x²+4x)

Parentheses are important!

• OK so far.

You can divide a rational expression within a log argument. But your algebra is totally wrong here, because ##\frac{x^2+4x}{x+2} \neq \frac{x+4x}{2}##. Please review your algebra.

Instead of this, I would just take antilogs of both sides to get:

##\frac{x^2+4x}{x+2} = 3##

and solve that quadratic. Be careful about which solution(s) is/are admissible.

• Doesn't help because ##a^x + a^y = a^z## does NOT imply that ##x + y = z##. In fact, there's no "easy" relationship between x, y and z here.

To solve, observe that ##2^{x+1} = 2.2^x## (the dot signifies multiplication). Now put ##2^x = y## to get a simple linear equation.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4
    Thanks, I didn't think of using an antilog, solved it smoothly.

I kind of don't follow what happened here, where did 2x go?

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5

Mark44

It's still there.
    2x + 1 = 2 * 2x

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6
    Yeah but I mean the original formula was 2x + 2x+1 = 3, you moved it to the other side of the equals sign and it became 2 times 2x. Why not 3-2x?

I'm sure it's obvious and I completely missed it but it's 1am here and trying to finish this before going to sleep

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7
    The quantity log3((x² +4x)/(x+2)) represents the power to which you have to raise the number 3 to get ((x² +4x)/(x+2)). The equation log3((x² +4x)/(x+2))=1 says that the number 1 is the power to which you have to raise the number 3 to get ((x² +4x)/(x+2)). So, 31=((x² +4x)/(x+2))

Chet

9. Oct 15, 2013 #8

Mark44

Because doing that won't help you. If you subtract 2x from both sides, you get
    2x + 1 = 3 - 2x
    This isn't wrong, but it's not helpful, either, in getting you closer to a solution.

This is what you need to do:
    2x + 2x+1 = 3
    ==>2x + 2*2x = 3
    ==> 2x(1 + 2) = 3
    ==>2x * 3 = 3
    ==>2x = 1
    Now you can solve for x.

10. Oct 15, 2013 #9
    Aaaah right 2x+1 = 2*2x is the same as 21*2x which makes the rest distributable now

Great thanks I can finally go catch some Zs now, you've been a real help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted