Maths textbooks for a high school graduate

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person's desire to teach themselves mathematics from scratch and their search for suitable textbooks. The conversation also mentioned alternative resources, such as Khan Academy and YouTube channels, and a specific textbook recommendation of "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang. The conversation ended with a question about the accuracy of the recommended textbook.
Pronghorn
I recently graduated from high school, but I didn't study any Mathematics at all. I, however, want to teach myself Mathematics from scratch, even though I know basic operations, such as division, addition etc.

So, I'm looking for one or more Maths textbooks that must cover these areas: pre-algebra, elementary algebra, intermediate algebra, coordinate geometry, plane geometry, and trigonometry.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Pronghorn and welcome to the forums.

This is not a textbook recommendation and I'm sorry to deviate from your question, but www.khanacademy.org has a lot of instructional videos that you can watch to learn all the topics you have mentioned and might be a valuable resources for you if your pursue this further.

Thanks, chiro.

Scouring the Internet for some textbook that should meet my needs, I came across 'Basic Mathematics' by Lang. Is it comprehensible for someone whose knowledge of Maths is superficial and unsystematic?

I also came across Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Gullberg and What Is Mathematics? An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods by Courant. They aren't textbooks, but they do explore the philosophical and historical underpinnings of Maths. Which one should I buy?

By the way, it seems that Basic Mathematics by Lang has been recommended a few times here on the forum. Can anyone who owns it confirm that it covers: pre-algebra, elementary algebra, intermediate algebra, coordinate geometry, plane geometry, and trigonometry?

I do know that Basic Mathematics by Lang has been recommended quite a few times here for people in your situation with exactly the description that you have in terms of learning, so I'm going to say based on their recommendations and their past advice that this is definitely something you should look at, but if you can get a table of contents online, then I would try and do that too.

Here is the TOC for Serge Lang's book:

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=TRADE PAPER:NEW:9780387967875:81.50#table_of_contents

I felt that Lang's Basic Mathematics covered everything I needed to know up to Calculus I

chiro said:
Hey Pronghorn and welcome to the forums.

This is not a textbook recommendation and I'm sorry to deviate from your question, but www.khanacademy.org has a lot of instructional videos that you can watch to learn all the topics you have mentioned and might be a valuable resources for you if your pursue this further.

Khan academy is relatively good it focus heavily on conceptual work ideally better than the textbook i am using Heinnemann but conscience that he does waste some time repeating things not that i am concerned about. or you may try PatrickJMT on youtube channel

According to a review on amazon, "the presentation of the material is marred by numerous errors, most, but not all, of which are typographical.". Can anyone who's read Basic Mathematics by Lang confirm this?

I'd say Khan academy for that level of material

Good luck :biggrin:

1. What topics should be covered in a high school graduate's maths textbook?

A high school graduate's maths textbook should cover fundamental topics such as algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. It should also include practical applications of these concepts in real-world scenarios.

2. How can a high school graduate use a maths textbook to improve their skills?

A high school graduate can use a maths textbook to improve their skills by reviewing and practicing the concepts covered in the textbook. They can also challenge themselves with additional practice problems or seek help from a tutor or teacher.

3. Are there any recommended maths textbooks for high school graduates?

Yes, there are several recommended maths textbooks for high school graduates, such as "Algebra and Trigonometry" by Michael Sullivan and "Geometry" by Ray C. Jurgensen. It is best to consult with teachers or academic advisors for specific recommendations.

4. How can a high school graduate choose the right maths textbook for their needs?

A high school graduate should consider their learning style, the topics covered in the textbook, and any additional resources or practice materials included. They can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from teachers or classmates.

5. Can a high school graduate use an older edition of a maths textbook?

Yes, a high school graduate can use an older edition of a maths textbook as long as the fundamental concepts and topics are still relevant. However, it is recommended to use the most recent edition to ensure the most up-to-date information and resources.