1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Maths textbooks for a high school graduate

1. Jul 11, 2012 #1
    I recently graduated from high school, but I didn't study any Mathematics at all. I, however, want to teach myself Mathematics from scratch, even though I know basic operations, such as division, addition etc.

So, I'm looking for one or more Maths textbooks that must cover these areas: pre-algebra, elementary algebra, intermediate algebra, coordinate geometry, plane geometry, and trigonometry.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Pronghorn and welcome to the forums.

This is not a textbook recommendation and I'm sorry to deviate from your question, but www.khanacademy.org has a lot of instructional videos that you can watch to learn all the topics you have mentioned and might be a valuable resources for you if your pursue this further.

4. Jul 11, 2012 #3
    Thanks, chiro.

Scouring the Internet for some textbook that should meet my needs, I came across 'Basic Mathematics' by Lang. Is it comprehensible for someone whose knowledge of Maths is superficial and unsystematic?

I also came across Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Gullberg and What Is Mathematics? An Elementary Approach to Ideas and Methods by Courant. They aren't textbooks, but they do explore the philosophical and historical underpinnings of Maths. Which one should I buy?

5. Jul 11, 2012 #4
    By the way, it seems that Basic Mathematics by Lang has been recommended a few times here on the forum. Can anyone who owns it confirm that it covers: pre-algebra, elementary algebra, intermediate algebra, coordinate geometry, plane geometry, and trigonometry?

6. Jul 11, 2012 #5

chiro

Science Advisor

I do know that Basic Mathematics by Lang has been recommended quite a few times here for people in your situation with exactly the description that you have in terms of learning, so I'm going to say based on their recommendations and their past advice that this is definitely something you should look at, but if you can get a table of contents online, then I would try and do that too.

Here is the TOC for Serge Lang's book:

http://www.powells.com/biblio?show=TRADE PAPER:NEW:9780387967875:81.50#table_of_contents

7. Jul 11, 2012 #6
    I felt that Lang's Basic Mathematics covered everything I needed to know up to Calculus I

8. Jul 11, 2012 #7
    Khan academy is relatively good it focus heavily on conceptual work ideally better than the textbook i am using Heinnemann but conscience that he does waste some time repeating things not that i am concerned about. or you may try PatrickJMT on youtube channel

9. Jul 11, 2012 #8
    According to a review on amazon, "the presentation of the material is marred by numerous errors, most, but not all, of which are typographical.". Can anyone who's read Basic Mathematics by Lang confirm this?

10. Jul 11, 2012 #9
    I'd say Khan academy for that level of material

Good luck :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook