Matrices - finding critical values

• Thread starter steelphantom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, in order to find the value of k that will give the system of equations exactly one solution, we create an augmented matrix and reduce it to the identity matrix. The possible values of k are all real numbers except -1, as this would result in a contradictory system.
steelphantom

Homework Statement

Find k so that the system has exactly one solution.

[tex]\left{ \begin {array} {rcl} x - y + 2z = 1 \\ -x + y - z = 2 \\ x + ky + z = 3 \end {array} \right .[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I create an augmented matrix here:
[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ -1 & 1 & -1 & 2 \\ 1 & k & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

Here I do the following: R2+R1 and R3-R1.
[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & k+1 & -1 & 2 \end {array} \right][/tex]

R2 <=> R3.
[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & k+1 & -1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

(1/k+1)R2.
[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1/(k+1) & 2/(k+1) \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

At this point, I'm stuck. How do I know which k will give the system exactly one solution?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is your first equation correct? It does not match with your matrix.

Have you learned about eigenvalues?

desA said:
Is your first equation correct? It does not match with your matrix.

Have you learned about eigenvalues?

Sorry; I just fixed it. Everything should be correct now. We haven't learned about eigenvalues yet.

Would reducing your matrix all the way to the identity matrix help?

desA said:
Would reducing your matrix all the way to the identity matrix help?

We haven't even gone over the identity matrix yet. :redface: I think I may have come up with a solution:

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & k+1 & -1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

OK, in this form, if k = -1, the second and third rows would be contradictory (i.e. no solution):

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

However, if k were anything else, there should be exactly one solution, right? So is the answer all real numbers except -1, or am I totally off-base here?

Looks like 'a' solution. How would you know if there were others, or not?

The identity matrix has ones on the diagonal, & zeros everywhere else. Basically continue your reduction method, or back-substitute from where you are, to obtain complete expressions for x,y,z in terms of k & then make a decision.

This will give you the full solution for x, y, z & you could then re-check your current solution.

Ok, I've reduced my matrix to the identity matrix. Here are my steps:

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & k+1 & 0 & 5 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 2 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 5/(k+1) \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & -1 & 0 & -5 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 5/(k+1) \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & 0 & 0 & 5/(k+1) - 5 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 5/(k+1) \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

After all these steps, my final identity matrix looks like this:
[tex]\left[ \begin {array} {ccc|r} 1 & 0 & 0 & -5k/(k+1) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 5/(k+1) \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 3 \end {array} \right][/tex]

So now it looks like the possible values of k are all real numbers except -1 and 0. Is this correct?

Why could k not be 0? Isn't x= 0, y= 5, z= 3 an acceptable solution?

The matrix equation, Ax= b, will have a single solution as long as det(A) is not 0. Since there is only one k in the matrix, det(A)= 0 will be a linear equation in k. There should be only one value of k for which this system does not have a single solution.

You could have seen that back in your original reduction:
If the "pivot", k+ 1, is 0 then you cannot have a single solution.

HallsofIvy said:
Why could k not be 0? Isn't x= 0, y= 5, z= 3 an acceptable solution?

The matrix equation, Ax= b, will have a single solution as long as det(A) is not 0. Since there is only one k in the matrix, det(A)= 0 will be a linear equation in k. There should be only one value of k for which this system does not have a single solution.

You could have seen that back in your original reduction:
If the "pivot", k+ 1, is 0 then you cannot have a single solution.

Wow, how dumb of me... :redface: Of course k=0 is a solution! For some reason I was looking at it like 1=0. :confused: So it looks like the only value that won't work is -1, as I thought earlier. Thanks!

Hence, it's always necessary to create a 'discussion' before dividing with k+1, as in post #7, since, for k = -1 the term is undefined.

Last edited:

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, arranged in rows and columns. It can be visualized as a table, with each entry representing a single value.

What are critical values in a matrix?

Critical values in a matrix refer to the values that are necessary for performing operations such as finding the inverse or determining the rank of the matrix. These values play a crucial role in various matrix operations.

How do you find critical values in a matrix?

The process of finding critical values in a matrix depends on the specific operation being performed. For example, to find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. To determine the rank of a matrix, you can use Gaussian elimination or the row reduction method.

Why are critical values important in matrix operations?

Critical values are important because they help determine the properties and behavior of a matrix. For instance, the critical values of a matrix can determine whether the matrix is invertible or singular, and can also affect the outcome of certain operations such as matrix multiplication.

What are some real-world applications of finding critical values in matrices?

Finding critical values in matrices is essential in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, matrices are used to represent systems of equations, and finding critical values can help determine the stability of a system. In economics, matrices are used to analyze supply and demand, and critical values can help determine the equilibrium point.