1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrices, how to get this equality

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    How do I get the right side of the equation to equal the left side?

1 & 0 \\
    0 & 1
    \end{bmatrix} =
    a & 1 \\
    1 & 1

I tried multiplying the first row by 0 to get rid of a is this is the right first step?
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They aren't equal because 0 is not equal to 1. Face it. Massaging it won't change that.
  4. Apr 29, 2008 #3
    Sorry I should have explained a bit better.

What i'm trying to do is find the inverse matrix of
    ax + y = 1
    x + y = b

I don't think that equal sign should be in there
  5. Apr 29, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then multiplying the first row by 0 seems like a pretty poor idea. Now you've got NOTHING in the first row. How about multiplying by 1/a, so you can subtract the first row from the second and get a 0 in the lower left part of the original matrix?
  6. Apr 29, 2008 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So your question is "How do I find the inverse to
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{array}\right][/tex]?

One way to do that is to use, directly, the definitiion: Find x, y, z u, so that
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{array}\right][left[\begin{array}{cc}x & y \\ z & u\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{cc}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{array}\right][/tex].

That is the same as solving the equation ax+ z= 1, ay+ u= 0, x+ z= 0, y+ u= 1 for x, y, z, u.

But I suspect you are talking about "row reduction". The "row operations" are
    1) Swap two rows
    2) Multiply one row by a number
    3) Add a multiple of one row to another.

In order to row reduce [itex]\left[\begin{array}{cc}a & 1 \\ 1 & 1 \end{array}\right] do the following:

Normally, the simplest way to get a "1" on the diagonal is to multiply the entire row by 1 over whatever is on the diagona. Here, since we already have a '1' directly below a, I would swap the first and second rows to get
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ a & 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
    To get a "0" below that, subtract a times the first row from the second (do you see how I decided to use "a time"? Since we have a "1" just above the"a", we use a/1= a.)
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 0& 1-a\end{array}\right][/tex]
    Now you want to get a "1" on the diagonal, in the lower right. Since that is 1- a now, the obvious thing to do is divide that row by 1- a. Notice that does not change the first row:
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 0& 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
    Finally, subtract the second row from the first and you are done:
    [tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 0 \\ 0& 1\end{array}\right][/tex]
    Now if you apply those same row operations to the identity matrix, in the same order, you get the inverse matrix. Of course, it is simpler to write the matrices A and the identity matrix side-by-side and do the row operations to both matrices at the same time.
  7. Apr 30, 2008 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?