1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix A s.t. A^3=0 but A^2 doesn't

1. Sep 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a matrix, A, such that A3=0, but A2≠0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't actually think this is possible. My only other thought is to take A2*A where this product equals zero, and then decompose A. But I don't know how to do that such that it is the "square root" of A.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2012 #2
    Try a 3x3 matrix with 1s above the diagonal.

4. Sep 30, 2012 #3
    How would I have known to look for that?

From what I know about matrix multiplication, I know that the zeroes below the diagonal help when I think of multiplying by taking linear combinations of the columns, but how would I reason this out in general?

5. Sep 30, 2012 #4
    Let A be an n xn matrix for which A^k = 0 for some k > n. Prove that A^n = 0.

This theorem tells me to work on nxn matrices since I know I know I can construct one that is A^n = 0. So your case we needed A^3. Hence I picked a 3x3

6. Sep 30, 2012 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re "How would I have known to look for that?" I'll bet your book or notes have some relevant material. Alternatively, you could Google 'nilpotent matrix', but I guess you would need to know that is what such A are called.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook