Matrix algebra - Gauss 0=0, determinant = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the current z using mesh analysis and methods like Cramer's method and Gaussian elimination. The correct answer for current z is 0, but the conversation reveals that the matrix A used for the problem is incorrect, with the bottom right corner value being 30 instead of 45. This mistake was not caught initially, leading to difficulties in finding the solution.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

Mesh Analysis, find current z:

A= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}+30x&-15y&-15z\\-15x&+30y&-15z\\-15x&-15y&+30z\end{array}\right)[/tex]

b= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}+10\\-10\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

A*x=b
A= resistance
x= currents
b= voltage sources

Gauss elimination

Cramer's method

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried Cramer's method. This requires the determinant of A. Unfortunately, that determinant = zero, make the method impossible as I cannot divide by zero.

Then I try Gauss elimination, and end up with zero = zero.

The correct answer for current z should be 0.

What should I do? None of the methods work. What does this prove? I have checked, and rechecked my matrices...

So how can I calculate the current z?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the equation "Ax= B" reduces to "0= 0" then the original equation is true for all x.

I wonder how that actually translate to the electrical circuit...

It's so strange. With just batteries and resistors, surely there always be currents != zero, and the answers must be concrete.

Can you shed some more light on this?

Try posting the original problem. There may be some error in the matrix formulation.

TttHQ.jpg

All R's are 15Ω And all U's are 10V

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}R1(x-z)&0&R3(x-y)&0&=U1\\0&R2(y-z)&R3(y-x)&0&=-U2\\R1(z-x)&R2(z-y)&0&R4z&=0\end{array}[/tex]

Sorting into:

[tex]\begin{array}{ccc}(R1+R3)*x&-R3*y&-R1*z\\-R3*x&(R2+R3)*y&-R2*z\\-R1*x&-R2*y&(R1+R2)*z\end{array}[/tex]

A=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}30&-15&-15\\-15&30&-15\\-15&-15&30\end{array}\right)[/tex]

x=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}x\\y\\z\end{array}\right)[/tex]

b=[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}10\\-10\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

A*x=b

Find current z. Answer is given as 0A.

Last edited:
DrOnline said:

Homework Statement

Mesh Analysis, find current z:

A= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc}+30x&-15y&-15z\\-15x&+30y&-15z\\-15x&-15y&+30z\end{array}\right)[/tex]

b= [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}+10\\-10\\0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

A*x=b
A= resistance
x= currents
b= voltage sources

Gauss elimination

Cramer's method

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried Cramer's method. This requires the determinant of A. Unfortunately, that determinant = zero, make the method impossible as I cannot divide by zero.

Then I try Gauss elimination, and end up with zero = zero.

The correct answer for current z should be 0.

What should I do? None of the methods work. What does this prove? I have checked, and rechecked my matrices...

So how can I calculate the current z?

The matrix A should not have x,y and z it it; with A as you have written it, the system Ax = b will be a set of coupled quadratic equations!

So, you have the system of equations
[tex] 30x - 15y - 15z = 10\\
-15x + 30y - 15z = -10\\
-15x - 15y + 30z = 0. [/tex]
So, solving the third equation for x, say, gives x = 2z-y, and substituting that into the first two equations gives
[tex] -45y + 45z = 10\\
45y - 45z = -10.[/tex]
One of these is redundant, so all we end up with is 45y = 45z - 10, or y = z - (2/9).
This gives x = z + (2/9). So that is the form of solution: x = z + (2/9), y = z - (2/9), z = anything.

That is always what happens when you do Gaussian elimination on a system with determinant = 0: you either get no solution at all, or else you get an infinite number of solutions (as in this case). Just saying 0 = 0 misses a whole lot of important information.

Wow, thanks, but if z has an infinite number of solutions, how can the answer be stated as z=0?

I know the currents should not be in the A matrix, that was a lazy mistake on my part because it takes a while to write all the matrices in tex I kinda mashed two together for Gauss. See my new post that clearly outlines my method. I don't think I made any mistakes creating the matrices.

DrOnline said:
Wow, thanks, but if z has an infinite number of solutions, how can the answer be stated as z=0?

I know the currents should not be in the A matrix, that was a lazy mistake on my part because it takes a while to write all the matrices in tex I kinda mashed two together for Gauss. See my new post that clearly outlines my method. I don't think I made any mistakes creating the matrices.

Well, in answer to your question: z = 0 is one of the possible solutions, but there are infinitely many others as well. However, tht does not solve your physical problem, which arises because your matrix is wrong. Your original equations are
[tex]R_1(x−z)+R_3(x-y)=U_1\\
R_2(y-z)+R_3(y-x) = -U_2\\
R_1(z-x)+R_2(z-y)+R_4z=0[/tex]
so the last equation is -R1 x - R2 y + (R1 + R2 + R4)z = 0, or -15x -15y + 45z = 0. Therefore, A should have '45' (not '30') in the bottom right corner.

Whenever you see an 'unsolvable' problem in a formulation of a simple physical question, you (should) know that you must have done something wrong!

... sorry for wasting your time. Like I wrote, I checked and rechecked and spent a while on it, and all the time it was a stupid mistake like that.

Thanks!

1. What is matrix algebra?

Matrix algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with operations and properties of matrices, which are arrays of numbers or variables arranged in rows and columns. It involves performing operations such as addition, multiplication, and inversion on matrices to solve various problems in mathematics and other fields.

2. What does Gauss 0=0 mean in matrix algebra?

Gauss 0=0, also known as the Gaussian elimination method, is a technique used to solve systems of linear equations by reducing them to an equivalent system with fewer unknowns. In matrix algebra, this method involves using elementary row operations to transform a matrix into its reduced row-echelon form, where the rightmost column consists of all zeros.

3. What is the significance of a determinant equaling 0 in matrix algebra?

The determinant of a square matrix is a number that represents the scaling factor of the matrix. When the determinant equals 0, it means that the matrix is not invertible, and therefore, there is no unique solution to the system of equations represented by the matrix. This can occur when the equations are not linearly independent or when one equation is a multiple of another.

4. How is matrix algebra used in scientific research?

Matrix algebra has many applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to model and solve complex systems of equations, analyze data and patterns, and perform transformations on data sets. Additionally, matrix algebra is used in computer graphics and image processing to manipulate and transform images.

5. Can matrix algebra be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, matrix algebra is widely used in real-world problems, such as optimizing resource allocation, predicting future trends, and solving systems of equations in engineering and physics. It has also been applied in fields such as economics, biology, and social sciences to model and analyze complex systems and relationships. Many real-world problems can be represented and solved using matrix algebra techniques.