1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix elements in the quantum oscillator

1. Oct 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a quantum oscillator find all non-zero matrix elements of the operators ##\hat{x}^3## and ##\hat{x}^4##

2. Relevant equations

##\hat{x} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}}\left(a+a^\dagger\right)##

##a^\dagger |n\rangle = \sqrt{n+1}|n+1\rangle##
    ##a |n\rangle = \sqrt{n}|n-1\rangle##

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay so first it is necessary to compute ## \langle n |\hat{x}^3|n'\rangle## and then from that outcome determine the non-zero elements.

$$x^3 = \left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a + a^\dagger)^3 =\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a + a^\dagger)(a _ + a^\dagger)(a + a^\dagger) = $$

$$=\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2}(a a a + a^\dagger a a + a a^\dagger a + a^\dagger a^\dagger a + a a a^\dagger + a^\dagger a a^\dagger + a a^\dagger a^\dagger + a^\dagger a^\dagger a^\dagger) $$

So then we compute

$$\langle n|\hat{x}^3|n' \rangle = $$
    $$\left(\frac{\hbar}{2m\omega}\right)^{3/2} \langle n|(a a a + a^\dagger a a + a a^\dagger a + a^\dagger a^\dagger a + a a a^\dagger + a^\dagger a a^\dagger + a a^\dagger a^\dagger + a^\dagger a^\dagger a^\dagger)|n'\rangle$$

And then from here I am having trouble evaluating this, however, I am pretty sure that the majority of the terms above go to zero.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    You just have to evaluate the action of the operators on the states sequentially. Lets take the term [itex]a a^{\dagger} a[/itex] for example:
    [tex]\left\langle n\right| a a^{\dagger} a \left|n'\right \rangle = \left\langle n\right| a a^{\dagger} \sqrt{n'} \left|n' - 1\right \rangle
    = \left\langle n\right| a \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \left|n'\right \rangle
    = \left\langle n\right| \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \sqrt{n'} \left|n'-1\right \rangle
    = \left(n'\right)^{3/2} \delta_{n,n'-1}
    [/tex]

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Thanks for your response. Why wouldn't the above be: $$\langle n|aa^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n|aa^\dagger \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \langle n|a\sqrt{n'+1}\sqrt{n'}|n'\rangle = \langle n|\sqrt{n'+1}n'|n'-1\rangle = n'\sqrt{n'+1}\delta_{n,n'-1}$$

Becuase you would apply the lowering operator and then the raising and then the lowering, which would give you that factor ##\sqrt{n'+1}## instead of 3 factors of ##\sqrt{n'}##. Or am I misguided in my thinking?

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I seem to remember that ##a^\dagger a = N## and ##a a^\dagger = N+1## ...

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5
    Okay so just to make sure that I am going about this right here is what I have for the first four terms:
    $$\langle n|a a a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a a \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \cdots = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-3}$$
    $$\langle n|a^\dagger a a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a^\dagger a \sqrt{n'}|n'-1\rangle = \langle n|(n')^{3/2}|n'-2\rangle = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-2}$$
    $$\langle n|a a^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n|a n'|n'\rangle = (n')^{3/2}\delta_{n,n'-1}$$
    $$\langle n|a^\dagger a^\dagger a|n'\rangle = \langle n |a^\dagger n'|n'\rangle = n'\sqrt{n'+1}\delta_{n,n'+1}$$

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As I said (you can check with your post #1) ##a^\dagger a = N ##, so ##a^\dagger a \, a |n> = a^\dagger a \, \sqrt N\, |n-1> = \sqrt N a^\dagger a \, |n-1> = (N-1)\sqrt N |n-1>##, meaning I get something else for your second term...
    And for the coefficient of the third ...
    And for the fourth I get the same as you :-)

8. Oct 6, 2014 #7
    Because you are applying the raising operator on the state [itex]\left|n'-1\right\rangle[/itex] instead of [itex]\left|n'\right\rangle[/itex], and so you obtain a factor [itex]\sqrt{(n'-1) +1} = \sqrt{n'}[/itex].
    This also sort of explains why you got the wrong answer for the second term: you need to take note of the state that you are operating on.

9. Oct 6, 2014 #8
    Okay after about five minutes of staring at it I think it makes sense now. What you are both saying is that $$\langle n|a^\dagger a a|n'\rangle =\underbrace{ \langle n |\sqrt{n'}a^\dagger a |n'-1\rangle}_\textrm{Now we are acting on n-1 state and thus the outcome of the operator will be not just n' but n'-1}$$

It clicked now, the notation was slightly throwing me off, but also I clearly wasn't getting it. Thank you for your help.

10. Oct 6, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nice exercise. In my book (Merzbacher, QM, 1970 :-) ) there is a matrix for x that still looks decent. But for higher powers it will look a bit less nice; still it's a diagonal band matrix.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted