Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Multiplication and sigma notation

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have read several different sources on this very topic, and the one thing that confused a little was defining it using sigma notation. Could some please explain to be what it means?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    "Sigma" notation is simply summation.

Matrix multiplication is the summation of the rows of one matrix multiplied by the columns of another matrix.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    The way you explain makes it seem that Wikipedia has defined it incorrectly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matrix_multiplication#Matrix_product_.28two_matrices.29

The one thing that I don't quite understand about their sigma definition is, how does does i and j run through their values? I can see that k runs from 1 element to m elements, which would be the elements in the column for A, and the elements in the row for B.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  5. Oct 18, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's exactly how Wikipedia defines it. Look at the picture: A row times a column. Or read the text regarding the calculation of (AB)ij: "Treating the rows and columns in each matrix as row and column vectors respectively, this entry is also their vector dot product."

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5
    I think my explanation agrees with Wikipedia. Here's an example:

Say we have two tables "A" and "B":

Code (Text):
      A
    1 3
    5 7

B
    2 4
    6 8
    Matrix multiply (in the linear executable notation J - see jsoftware.com):

Code (Text):
       A+/ . *B
    20 28
    52 76
    This is illustrated below by positioning B above and to the right with A down and to the left to highlight that we
    1) multiply the columns of B by the rows of A and
    2) sum those products (add them together)

Here's my attempt to illustrate this procedure (assuming multiplication before addition):
    Code (Text):

2          4
                      6          8
    1   3     1*2 + 3*6  1*4 + 3*8  =   20  28          
    5   7     5*2 + 7*6  5*4 + 7*8  =   52  76        
    I've also staggered the rows of B to align them with the relevant portion of the cross-product (and tagged it as "code" when it isn't in order to preserve the spacing).

7. Oct 18, 2012 #6
    I think I am beginning to understand it, now. I'll have to re-read the posts a few more times. Thank you, all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook