Matrix Multiplication -- Commutivity versus Associativity

In summary, matrix multiplication is not commutative, but there are certain cases where matrices do commute. The associative property also applies to matrices, allowing us to take any number of A's to multiply. For invertible matrices, exponents can be any integer, but for non-invertible matrices, exponents must be nonnegative. Additionally, dividing a matrix by another is the same as multiplying by its multiplicative inverse.
Crystal037
Homework Statement
If A is a square matrix, then A^2.A^3=A^3.A^2.
Is the above statement true or false????
Relevant Equations
A^2.A^3=A^3.A^2.
According to me matrix multiplication is not commutative. Therefore A^2.A^3=A^3.A^2 should be false. But at the same time matrix multiplication is associative so we can take whatever no. of A's we want to multiply i.e A^5=A.A^4 OR A^5=A^2.A^3

Physics news on Phys.org
GlassBones said:
According to me matrix multiplication is not commutative. Therefore A^2.A^3=A^3.A^2 should be false.

Matrix multiplication is not commutative which means AB is NOT NECESSARILY BA. That doesn't mean that they have to be unequal.

There are many cases where the matrices commute, such as this one. Another one is a matrix and its inverse. The definition of the inverse of ##A## is a matrix ##A^{-1}## such that ##A^{-1}A = A A^{-1} = I##. The product most definitely commutes, and in either order gives you the identity matrix.

Two additional trivial examples: the identity matrix, ##IA = AI = A## and the zero matrix ##0 A = A 0 = 0##.

Likes Miles123K
I have tried for some matrices an even for general matric having elements a11,a12...
The result shows that the above statement is true

Crystal037 said:
I have tried for some matrices an even for general matric having elements a11,a12...
You cannot show a statement based on a couple of examples. The correct argumentation is using associativity as you outlined in the first post.

Crystal037 said:

Sure, for the simple reason that both expressions are equal to ##A * A * A * A * A##, regardless of how ##A## is defined. And as you said, there's an associative property for matrices. So ##A^2 A^3 = A^3 A^2 = A A^4 = A A^3 A = \cdots##

By the way, remember that a scalar can be interpreted as a 1 x 1 matrix. And scalars definitely commute under multiplication. So ##ab = ba## is another example of "matrices" that commute under multiplication.

So to conclude any matrix A , A^n=A*A^(n-1)=A^2*A^(n-2)...=A^n-1*A.

Crystal037 said:
So to conclude any matrix A , A^n=A*A^(n-1)=A^2*A^(n-2)...=A^n-1*A.
Yes, and even further if the matrix is invertible:
$$
A^n = A^{n-k} A^k,
$$
where ##k## is any number in ##\mathbb Z## (including negative ones or ones larger than ##n##).

But what about matrices which are non-invertible. Please explain through an example

Crystal037 said:
But what about matrices which are non-invertible. Please explain through an example
Then all the exponents must be nonnegative, i.e. your list in post #6.

Yes correct Also Is dividing a matrix A with B is same as multiplying A with additive inverse of B?

Crystal037 said:
Yes correct Also Is dividing a matrix A with B is same as multiplying A with additive inverse of B?
Multiplicative inverse.

yeah Yeah sorry multiplicative inverse
So is the above statement true for multiplicative inverse or simply inverse

Crystal037 said:
yeah Yeah sorry multiplicative inverse
So is the above statement true for multiplicative inverse or simply inverse
Yes. In fact, multiplying by the multiplicative inverse is the definition of division in groups generally.

1. What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to produce a third matrix. It is used to perform various operations in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. What is commutativity in matrix multiplication?

Commutativity in matrix multiplication refers to the property that states the order of multiplication does not affect the result. In other words, when two matrices are multiplied, it does not matter which one comes first, the result will be the same.

3. What is associativity in matrix multiplication?

Associativity in matrix multiplication refers to the property that states the grouping of matrices does not affect the result. In other words, when three or more matrices are multiplied, it does not matter how they are grouped, the result will be the same.

4. What is the difference between commutativity and associativity in matrix multiplication?

The main difference between commutativity and associativity in matrix multiplication is the order of the matrices. Commutativity deals with the order of only two matrices, while associativity deals with the order of three or more matrices.

5. Why is commutativity not always applicable in matrix multiplication?

Commutativity is not always applicable in matrix multiplication because it only applies to square matrices with equal dimensions. For non-square matrices or matrices with different dimensions, the order of multiplication matters and therefore, commutativity does not hold.