Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix operations in C language

1. Jun 30, 2007 #1
    i have a matrix 4x4 like this

1 5 7 3
    2 6 8 0
    1 4 3 2
    0 4 0 5

my teacher asks me to print out 1 2 3 4
    each of the digits is from the 1st 2nd 3rd 4th rows
    it looks very simple, but because i just learnt c for two months, i don't know how to code a program, true.

could you help me ?:shy:
    thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2007 #2
    Hello phillosopher
    The answer is quite simple.
    I am not jotting down the actual code (it is against PF rules), but I will give you a hint.
    Did you notice that the number that you have to print in each row is equal to the row-number. So just write a comparison-performing code, which compares each digit of a row with the row number. If the digit matches with the row-number, print the digit.
    You will need a nested loop (a loop inside a loop) for this. Both the external and internal loops will need four iterations.

regards
    Mr V

4. Jun 30, 2007 #3
    :biggrin:thank you,
    I forget that life-saving spot.
    No, I will use only one loop to output the number of rows. That'll be nicer, isn't it ?:tongue2:

5. Jun 30, 2007 #4
    Yeah, you can easily do that. But if you want the program to look like a "searching" program (that's the topic of your thread), then the approach I suggested will be better.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  6. Jul 1, 2007 #5
    Yes, that approach is better for the searching program because I suppose I can make the program guess what number comes next especially when the numbers don't denote the row's numbers, thank you, :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?