1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix problem help. solve the remaining equation and find the value(s) for x

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    | x 0 c|
    | -1 x b| = 0
    | 0 -1 a|
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    As best as I can tell I would end up with x * (xa - (-1b)) and -1c and then I would end up with Ax^2 + BX + C which leaves me confused am I looking at a quadratic equation for the answer or is there a way to get numerical values out of it?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your problem statement says that the determinant of your matrix is zero.

What equation represents this?

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

I presume you are taking the determinant and setting it equal to zero. If so, what you've done looks right. Remember the solution to a quadratic equation? Also, you can only get a numerical answer if you know the values of a,b,c. Otherwise, the answer will be an expression involving a,b,c.

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4
    0=x*(xa-(-1b))-(-1*c)

I am using det(a)=A11(A22*A33-A23*A32)-A12(A21*A33-A23*A31)+A13(A21*A32-A22*A31)

Yes it is equal to zero sorry, new here.

Ax^2+bx+c=0 so I am assuming my answer would be x = [-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac) ]/2a

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, that's right.

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6
    thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook