Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix reppresentation of poincare group generators

1. Jun 26, 2009 #1
    Does anyone know what a matrix representation of the poincare group generators looks like (specifically the translation parts)? Ive been trying to figure this out but I get matrices that are dependent on the group parameters.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2009 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is translation by a fixed 4-vector a linear transformation?

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3
    No it isnt.

But matrix multiplication is linear. So is the correct conclusion that the translation group operators could be represented as matrices only if we define a funky new way of multiplying matrices together that allows non-linearity?

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A translation isn't a linear transformation on [itex]\mathbb R^4[/itex], but if we're talking about a representation on a Hilbert space, there is of course a linear operator that corresponds to the translation. A translation by a four-vector with components [itex]a^\mu[/itex] is [itex]\exp(-ia_\mu P^\mu)[/itex], where the [itex]P^\mu[/itex] are the momentum operators. These momentum operators can't be written as matrices when we're working with this representation.

Hmm...I just remembered that the Poincaré group can be interpreted as a group of 5x5 matrices. (I read that here). So I guess the generators can be expressed as 5x5 matrices too, but I don't think that fact is very useful in QM.

6. Jun 28, 2009 #5

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For a detailed treatment of the irreducible representation of the Poincare group, see Group Theory in Physics by Wu-Ki Tung. For treatments more amenable to mathematicians, see some combination of: Theory of Group Representations and Applications by A. O. Barut and Ryszard Raczka; The Dirac Equation by Bernd Thaller; Lie Groups and Quantum Mechanics by D. J. Simms.

7. Jun 28, 2009 #6
    Awesome, thanks for the replies guys.

8. Oct 6, 2010 #7
    Translations are generated by momentum matrices, just as rotations are generated by angular momentum matrices (spin matrices). Momentum matrices are arrays of Clebsch Gordon coefficients. For formulas see `A Derivation of Vector and Momentum Matrices', arXiv:math-ph/0401002 .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook