1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representation of a quantum system

1. Oct 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to find the matrix system of Sx, Sy , and Sz using the given information:
    190899[/ATTACH]'] MR5aRwH.jpg
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    for attempting Sx:
    Ignoring the ket at the bottom, I would get Sx|+> = +ħ/2[[0,1],[1,0]]
    but my question here is, does the ket at the bottom(the |±>x = 1/√2 [|+> ± |->] affect the matrix?
    because the matrix form of the ket will be 1/√2([1,1]).
    With that said, would I have to insert that into the Sx equation? Giving me the matrix representation of 190901[/ATTACH]'] 7qaYfVU.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't make sense. The result of an operator on a ket is a ket, so it can be represented as a vector, not a matrix. And how can you obtain that result without considering "the ket at the bottom?"

What is the Dirac representation of a matrix element?

4. Oct 3, 2016 #3
    whoops, I meant Sx is represented as ħ/2 [[0,1],[1,0]].
    I was under the assumption that the ket |+> = [1,0] and that the ket at the bottom didn't affect it. From your response I guess, it does affect it.

Also isn't the dirac representation just the bra and ket? <+|A|+>

5. Oct 3, 2016 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Ok. But, still, how did you get that matrix?

You have to distinguish between ##| \pm \rangle## and ##| \pm \rangle_x##

Yes. What is a single matrix element of the representation of an operator in bracket notation?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted