1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpreting a system matrix (optics)

1. Dec 3, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi everybody! While doing some homework for school, I realised that I still struggle to get what are the elements of an optical system matrix referring to. Here is the problem:

An optical tube with length ##L=50##cm has at one end a convex lens (##D=2##) and at the other end a concave lens (##D=-2##). A mirror is placed a distance ##x## from the concave lens (outside the tube) perpendicular to the optical axis. An object is placed at a distance ##d=100##cm from the convex lens (see attached picture).

For which distance ##x## can the real image of the object lay in the object plane? How big is the magnification? Is the image straight or inverted?

2. Relevant equations

I used the following convention for the matrices:

1. Translation matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
    2. Thin lens matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
    3. Flat mirror matrix: ##\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##

3. The attempt at a solution

So here is my attempt at solving the problem. First I determined the system matrix:

##\mathcal{M} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ L & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ x & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ x & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_2 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ L & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & -1/f_1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ d & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
    ##= \begin{bmatrix} -1 & 8x \\ 0 & -1 \end{bmatrix}##

(I hope there is no mistake in the matrix. I've checked it many times already so it should be fine. The only doubts I have would concern the signs in the matrices when the ray comes back towards the object plane after hitting the mirror.)

Then I tried simply multiplying the matrix with an arbitrary height ##h## and angle ##phi_0## and got:

##\begin{bmatrix} \phi_f \\ h_f \end{bmatrix} = \mathcal{M} \begin{bmatrix} \phi_0 \\ h \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} -\phi_0 + 8xh \\ -h \end{bmatrix}##

I can see that the resulting height is independent of the starting angle of the ray and moreover it is equal to ##-h##. Thus my interpretation is that the magnification factor is ##1## and that the image is inverted (because of the negative sign). Is that correct?

Then I have trouble interpreting the question about ##x##. Any idea I have always ends up into having ##x=0## which seems unlikely. Did I make a mistake calculating the system matrix or am I not seeing something? As I said in the introduction I am unsure on how to interprete the matrix component ##M_{12} = 8x##. Is it the focal length of the whole system? Maybe it should be equal to something but I can't see what right now. The inverse of the total length times 2?

Thank you very much in advance for your suggestions.

Julien.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2016 #2
    What about that:

##8x = \frac{1}{f_{\mathcal{M}}} = \frac{1}{2(L + d + x)}##
    ##\equiv x^2 + x(L+d) - \frac{1}{4} = 0##
    ##\implies x= \frac{(L+d)^2}{2} = \frac{9}{8} = 112.5##cm

Does that make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted