1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rotations of spins and of wavefunctions

1. Dec 15, 2015 #1
    • Thread moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
    This is a question regarding the intrinsic angular momentum S of a particle of spin 1.
    Assuming S = s(s+1)I = 2I and I is the identity operator. In our case s = 1.
    Let |z> be a ket of norm 1 such that Sz |z> = 0, and let |x> and |y> be the ket vectors
    obtained from it by rotations of + 1/2 Pi about the y-axis and − 1/2 Pi about the x-axis
    respectively. Prove the following relations, as well as those resulting from circular
    permutation of x, y, and z:
    Sx |x> = 0 , Sx |y> = i|z> , Sxˆ2 |y> = |y> , Sx |z> = −i|y> , Sx2|z> = |z>
    Use these to show that |x>, |y>, |y> form an orthonormal basis and that the matrices
    representing Sx , Sy and Sz in that basis are:
    Sx = \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0& 0 & -i\\
    0&i &0
    \end{bmatrix}
    Sy = \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 0 & i \\
    0& 0 & 0\\
    -i&0 &0
    \end{bmatrix}
    Sz = \begin{bmatrix}
    0 & -i & 0 \\
    i& 0 & 0\\
    0&0 &0
    \end{bmatrix}

Show that the eigenvalues of Sz are the same as those of Jz , where Jz is the matrix
    representation of the z component of the angular momentum in the |j m> basis, for
    j = 1. Then find the most general unitary matrix that transforms
    Sz into Jz : U Sz U† = Jz .Choose the arbitrary parameters in U so that it also
    transforms Sx into Jx and Sy into Jy .
    This problem can be found in Quantum Mechanics by Albert Messiah volume 1 chapter 8 problem 10 part ii and iii.
    see attachment.
    My humble attempt at the problem,
    Used a rotation 3-d matrix for x,y,z or:
    Rx = \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 0 & 0 \\
    0& cos(a) & -sin(a)\\
    0&sin(a) &cos(a)
    \end{bmatrix}
    Ry = \begin{bmatrix}
    cos(a) & 0 & sin(a) \\
    0& 1 & 0\\
    -sin(a)&0 &cos(a)
    \end{bmatrix}
    Rz = \begin{bmatrix}
    cos(a) & -sin(a & 0 \\
    sin(a) &cos(a) & 0\\
    0&0 &1
    \end{bmatrix}
    After that substituting angle for x and y does not give me any meaning to go further. Probably I am starting in a wrong way. Help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Those rotation matrices aren't the correct ones for this problem. You need the ones that work on the angular momentum space.

4. Dec 18, 2015 #3

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Why not? I seem to get the right answer by the unitary transform ##S_x = R_y S_z R_y^{\dagger}##.

5. Dec 18, 2015 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think one could also do this problem matrix-less and hence saving lots of space, instead only works with ket notations. For example for the first task to prove ##S_x|x\rangle = 0##, one can use the substitution ##|x\rangle = \exp(-iS_y \pi/2) |z\rangle##. Have tried following this path, unfortunately stuck with the involved algebra. By the way the OP seems to be long absent anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted