Matrix representation of certain Operator

In summary, the matrix representation of the operator in the basis I1>,I2> is given by:2a^2 -2a^2-2a^2 2a^2eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator are found to be orthonormal.
abcs22

Homework Statement

Vectors I1> and I2> create the orthonormal basis. Operator O is:
O=a(I1><1I-I2><2I+iI1><2I-iI2><1I), where a is a real number.
Find the matrix representation of the operator in the basis I1>,I2>. Find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. Check if the eigenvectors are orthonormal. [/B]

Homework Equations

Av=λv

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is concerning the first part of this excercise. I'm not really familiar with this notation of the operator and not sure how I should get the matrix. I have tried improvisation and got the matrix

2a^2 -2a^2
-2a^2 2a^2

When I tried to calculate eigenvalues, I didn't get anything reasonable, so I believe that my matrix is wrong. Please help me regarding this problem, once I have the right matrix I will not have the problem finding eigenvalues nor eigenvectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: The matrix element ##O_{ij}## of an operator ##O## is given by ##\langle i|O|j\rangle##.
abcs22 said:
I'm not really familiar with this notation of the operator
That is actually the vector form of the relation for a matrix ##M##
$$
M = \sum_i\sum_j M_{ij} c_i r_j
$$
where ##c_i## is a column matrix containing 1 as the i-th element and zero otherwise and ##r_j## is a row matrix containing 1 as the j-th element and zero otherwise.

Thank you very much for your reply. I know the formula for the matrix element but have problem working it out with this notation. I was trying to find examples which include this notation, but without any luck.

abcs22 said:
have problem working it out with this notation
What's the problem, for example ##\langle 1 |O| 2 \rangle = i a\langle 1| 1 \rangle \langle 2 |2 \rangle = ia##.

Last edited:
I don't understand how you got i<1l1><2l2> and also, what to do with that scalar a in front of the bracket

abcs22 said:
I don't understand how you got i<1l1><2l2>
From ##\langle 1 |O| 2 \rangle##, replace ##O## with the form you are given with in the first post and then make use of the fact that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are orthonormal.
abcs22 said:
what to do with that scalar a in front of the bracket
Sorry I forgot to add ##a##. Corrected.

What is a matrix representation of an operator?

A matrix representation of an operator is a way to express the action of an operator on a vector in terms of a matrix multiplication. It is a mathematical tool used in linear algebra to simplify calculations involving operators.

Why is it important to have a matrix representation of an operator?

Having a matrix representation of an operator allows for easier computation of its actions on vectors. It also provides a visual representation of how the operator transforms vectors, making it easier to understand and analyze its properties.

Can any operator have a matrix representation?

Not all operators have a matrix representation. In order for an operator to have a matrix representation, it must be a linear operator, meaning it satisfies the properties of linearity, such as preserving addition and scalar multiplication.

How do you find the matrix representation of an operator?

To find the matrix representation of an operator, you can first choose a basis for the vector space on which the operator acts. Then, the matrix representation can be found by applying the operator to the basis vectors and writing the results as columns of a matrix.

What are the benefits of using a matrix representation of an operator?

Using a matrix representation of an operator can simplify and streamline calculations involving the operator. It also allows for more efficient problem solving and a better understanding of the operator's properties and behaviors.