1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representation of certain Operator

1. Aug 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Vectors I1> and I2> create the orthonormal basis. Operator O is:
    O=a(I1><1I-I2><2I+iI1><2I-iI2><1I), where a is a real number.
    Find the matrix representation of the operator in the basis I1>,I2>. Find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the operator. Check if the eigenvectors are orthonormal.

2. Relevant equations

Av=λv

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is concerning the first part of this excercise. I'm not really familiar with this notation of the operator and not sure how I should get the matrix. I have tried improvisation and got the matrix

2a^2 -2a^2
    -2a^2 2a^2

When I tried to calculate eigenvalues, I didn't get anything reasonable, so I believe that my matrix is wrong. Please help me regarding this problem, once I have the right matrix I will not have the problem finding eigenvalues nor eigenvectors.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: The matrix element ##O_{ij}## of an operator ##O## is given by ##\langle i|O|j\rangle##.
    That is actually the vector form of the relation for a matrix ##M##
    $$
    M = \sum_i\sum_j M_{ij} c_i r_j
    $$
    where ##c_i## is a column matrix containing 1 as the i-th element and zero otherwise and ##r_j## is a row matrix containing 1 as the j-th element and zero otherwise.

4. Aug 21, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for your reply. I know the formula for the matrix element but have problem working it out with this notation. I was trying to find examples which include this notation, but without any luck.

5. Aug 21, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the problem, for example ##\langle 1 |O| 2 \rangle = i a\langle 1| 1 \rangle \langle 2 |2 \rangle = ia##.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  6. Aug 21, 2016 #5
    I don't understand how you got i<1l1><2l2> and also, what to do with that scalar a in front of the bracket

7. Aug 21, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From ##\langle 1 |O| 2 \rangle##, replace ##O## with the form you are given with in the first post and then make use of the fact that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are orthonormal.
    Sorry I forgot to add ##a##. Corrected.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted