1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix representation of function composition

1. May 9, 2016 #1
    Am I on the right path here?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i. Prove that ##T_{a}## and ##T_{b}## are linear transformations.
    ii. Compose the two linear transformations and show the matrix that represents that composition.

2. The attempt at a solution

i. Prove that ##T_{a}## and ##T_{b}## are linear transformations.
    i. ##T_{a} \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}-x \\ x+y\end{bmatrix}##
    ##x =\begin{bmatrix}-1\\1\end{bmatrix}+y\begin{bmatrix}0\\1 \end{bmatrix}##
    ##\begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}##
    ##T_{a}## = Linear transformation.

##T_{b} \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}x+y \\ x -y \end{bmatrix}##
    ##x \begin{bmatrix}1\\1 \end{bmatrix} + y \begin{bmatrix}1\\-1 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}x\\y \end{bmatrix}##
    ##T_{b}## = Linear transformation.

ii. Compose the two linear transformations and show the matrix that represents that composition.
    ##T_{a} {\circ} T_{b} = \left[T_{a}\right]\left[T_{e}\right] = \begin{bmatrix}-1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix}1 & 1 \\ 1 & -1 \end{bmatrix}##
    ##= \begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1 \\ 2 & 0 \end{bmatrix}##

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct. However, from the way the question is written, they expect you to not just produce the matrix but also state the the transformation in the same form as that in which the original two were given, ie this form
    $$
    T_{a} \begin{bmatrix}x \\ y\end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}-x \\ x+y\end{bmatrix}
    $$

4. May 9, 2016 #3
    ##\left[T_{a}\right]\left[T_{b}\right] = \begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1 \\ 2 & 0 \end{bmatrix} \begin{bmatrix} x\\y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}-x -y\\ 2x \end{bmatrix}##

5. May 9, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't write it like that, because ##[T_a]##is the matrix representation of the linear operator ##T_a##, rather than the linear transformation itself. The transformation is ##T_a\circ T_b##. So writing it the same way as that in which ##T_a## and ##T_b## were presented would be
    $$(T_a\circ T_b)\begin{bmatrix} x\\y \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix}-x -y\\ 2x \end{bmatrix}$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted