1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Matrix Theory (Matrix Inverse test question)

1. Aug 7, 2012 #1
    I was asked this question on a test I just took and I was kinda stumped. I worked it out but I think I did it incorrectly so I was hoping for some input. Thanks.

'A' is a 3x3 matrix and 'I' is the identity matrix for a 3x3. Find the Inverse of 'A' given:

[tex]
    (\mathbf{A}\,+\,\mathbf{I})^{2}\,=\,\mathbf{0}
    [/tex]

Where '0' is the zero matrix.

So what I did (probably ignorantly) was treat it like any standard algebraic equation; took the radical of both sides, and subtracted the Identity from each side. So I had the zero matrix minus the standard identity 3x3. So I ended up getting a negative identity matrix on the right hand side. So I can see that 'A' equals the negative of an identity matrix. So to find the identity of that I put my 'A' next to and identity to solve in the standard fashion, for the identity of A. Which just happened to be, again, a negative of a 3x3 identity matrix.

Sorry I didn't feel like Latex'ing out all the matrix work but I think it can be followed by what I wrote.

Thanks again.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If B is a matrix and [itex] B^2 = 0,[/itex] that does NOT imply that B must be zero; matrices do not behave like real numbers in all respects. However, you _can_ use standard algebra to expand [itex](A+I)^2[/itex], because the matrices A and I commute under multiplication (that is, AI = IA), and you _can_ use AB+AC = A(B+C), etc.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook