Calculate Max Bending Moment for 10m Beam ABCD

In summary: Because the reactions at the ends of the beam are zero. In summary, the beam ABCD in question is 10m long with supports at A and C. At B there is a 50KN point load and another 20Kn point load at D. The is a uniform load between A and c of 30KN/m. A is 8m from C, A is also 2m from b and d is 2m from c. For the purposes of calculating the max bending moment, the reactions at A and C are 152.5 and 157.5 respectively. If possible, the author would like to see a step by step guide on how to calculate the max bending moment. Finally, the shear and bending moment for
matthew_hanco

Homework Statement

The beam ABCD in question is 10m long with supports at A and C. At B there is a 50KN point load and another 20Kn point load at D. The is a uniform load between A and c of 30KN/m.
A is 8m from C, A is also 2m from b and d is 2m from c.

I need to find the max bending moment but i also need a step by step guide on how to work it out?

I roughly know it should be around 280.

The reactions at A and C are 152.5 and 157.5 respectively.

If possible could you show me how to calculate the distance from support A that the max bending moment would occur?

I also need the point of contraflexure and the postion relative to A as well?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have made numerous attempts but get know where near the answer i know it should be.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Draw a diagram of your beam, including the given loads, and show the location of points A B C D, using dimensions as necessary.

Step 2: Can you find the reactions at A and C using the equations of statics?

Ive drawn the beam and worked out the reactions, where do i go from there to calculate the max bending moment?

Is the max bending moment equal to the of moment about D i.e.

2x V2 -40 +m = 0

where V2 is the reaction at C i.e. 2 x 157.5

Giving me 275.

Is this correct?

No. Now that you have calculated your reactions, work out what the shear force diagram looks like along the length of the beam. And I calculate a different reaction at C. Please show your work for calculating the reactions.

reaction at C

8x V2 -(30x8x4) - 50x2 -20x10=0

8V2 = 1260
V2 = 157.5

Reaction at A

8V1 - (30x8x4) -50x6 +2 x 20
8V1= 1220

V1 = 152.5

Is that not right?

Your Reactions check out.
Now that you have the beam statically determined, you should start at A and construct the shear force diagram for the beam. This diagram will be 0 starting at A and should come back to 0 at D after accounting for all loads and reactions.

Once you have constructed the shear force diagram, the bending moment diagram for the beam can be constructed by calculating the area under the shear force diagram. Like the shear force diagram, the bending moment diagram will be 0 starting at A and it should also be 0 when you have reached D.

The shear and bending moment for this beam will be 0 at the ends of the beam. Why?

What is the formula for calculating the maximum bending moment for a 10m beam?

The formula for calculating the maximum bending moment for a 10m beam is M = (wL^2)/8, where M is the maximum bending moment, w is the distributed load, and L is the length of the beam.

What is the unit of measurement for bending moment?

The unit of measurement for bending moment is Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

Can the maximum bending moment be negative?

Yes, the maximum bending moment can be negative if the beam is experiencing a sagging moment, meaning the top of the beam is in compression and the bottom is in tension.

How does the load distribution affect the maximum bending moment?

The load distribution has a direct effect on the maximum bending moment. The greater the distributed load, the larger the maximum bending moment will be. A distributed load that is concentrated at the ends of the beam will result in a higher maximum bending moment compared to a distributed load that is evenly distributed along the length of the beam.

Can the maximum bending moment be greater than the yield moment of the beam?

Yes, the maximum bending moment can be greater than the yield moment of the beam. The yield moment is the point at which the beam will permanently deform, while the maximum bending moment is the point at which the beam will experience the greatest internal stress. It is important to design beams that can withstand the maximum bending moment to ensure the safety and stability of the structure.