1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about the location of max bending stress in a beam

Tags:
  1. Nov 5, 2015 #1
    Hello guys,

I have a simple question about the max bending stress in a beam.

We know that in a cantilever beam, the biggest moment occurs at the wall. This is also the location of the max stress with equation stress= M*y/I
    , fig%201.jpg
    However, in a simple supported beam, we have

Sfd-bmd-simple-beam-udl.JPG
    This time, the max moment occurs at the middle of the beam. But I doubt this is the location of the max stress. I think the max stress location should still be at the wall.

So we have a problem here: Is the max bending stress located at the location of the moment?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a simply supported beam, there is no 'wall' like there is for a cantilever beam.

There's no problem here. Since σ = My / I, the location of max. bending stress is going to be where the max. bending moment is located.

You have to pay attention to the support conditions for a beam because a simple support is not the same as a fixed support.

4. Nov 6, 2015 #3
    Also, since a simply supported beam has zero slope at its center, from the center to each edge, each half of the beam looks like a cantilever beam.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted