Question about the location of max bending stress in a beam

In summary, the max bending stress in a beam is located at the location of the moment, which is determined by the support conditions. In a cantilever beam, the max moment and stress occur at the wall, while in a simply supported beam, the max moment occurs at the center but the max stress is still located at the wall. It is important to consider the support conditions and the beam's characteristics when determining the location of the max bending stress.
JeffZ
Hello guys,

I have a simple question about the max bending stress in a beam.

We know that in a cantilever beam, the biggest moment occurs at the wall. This is also the location of the max stress with equation stress= M*y/I
fig%201.jpg

However, in a simple supported beam, we have

Sfd-bmd-simple-beam-udl.JPG

This time, the max moment occurs at the middle of the beam. But I doubt this is the location of the max stress. I think the max stress location should still be at the wall.

So we have a problem here: Is the max bending stress located at the location of the moment?

Attachments

• fig%201.jpg
    fig%201.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 1,396
Physics news on Phys.org
JeffZ said:
Hello guys,

I have a simple question about the max bending stress in a beam.

We know that in a cantilever beam, the biggest moment occurs at the wall. This is also the location of the max stress with equation stress= M*y/I
fig%201.jpg

However, in a simple supported beam, we have

Sfd-bmd-simple-beam-udl.JPG

This time, the max moment occurs at the middle of the beam. But I doubt this is the location of the max stress. I think the max stress location should still be at the wall.

In a simply supported beam, there is no 'wall' like there is for a cantilever beam.

So we have a problem here: Is the max bending stress located at the location of the moment?
There's no problem here. Since σ = My / I, the location of max. bending stress is going to be where the max. bending moment is located.

You have to pay attention to the support conditions for a beam because a simple support is not the same as a fixed support.

Likes JeffZ
Also, since a simply supported beam has zero slope at its center, from the center to each edge, each half of the beam looks like a cantilever beam.

Chet

What is the location of maximum bending stress in a beam?

The location of maximum bending stress in a beam depends on various factors such as the type of beam, the load applied, and the support conditions. In a simply supported beam with a uniformly distributed load, the maximum bending stress occurs at the center of the beam. However, in a cantilever beam, the maximum bending stress occurs at the fixed end.

How can I calculate the location of maximum bending stress in a beam?

To calculate the location of maximum bending stress in a beam, you will need to know the magnitude and distribution of the load, the dimensions of the beam, and the material properties of the beam. You can then use equations such as the moment-curvature relationship or the flexure formula to determine the location of maximum bending stress.

What factors affect the location of maximum bending stress in a beam?

The location of maximum bending stress in a beam is affected by several factors such as the type of beam, the load applied, the support conditions, and the shape and dimensions of the beam. Additionally, the material properties of the beam, such as its modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia, also play a role in determining the location of maximum bending stress.

Why is it important to know the location of maximum bending stress in a beam?

Knowing the location of maximum bending stress in a beam is essential in structural analysis and design. It helps engineers determine the strength and stability of a beam and ensure that it can withstand the expected loads without failure. Additionally, knowing the location of maximum bending stress allows engineers to optimize the design of a beam to minimize material and construction costs.

Can the location of maximum bending stress be changed?

In most cases, the location of maximum bending stress in a beam cannot be changed. It is a result of the applied loads and the physical properties of the beam. However, engineers can alter the location of maximum bending stress by changing the beam's dimensions or support conditions. This can be done to optimize the beam's design for specific applications and reduce the stress levels at critical points.