Max Energy Stored in an Inductor

In summary, if you want to find the maximum energy stored in an inductor, first find the equation for power, integrate from t=0 to the time where the graph crosses the x-axis, and use the calculator to find the point that it crosses the x-axis. Then, use the limits given to find the upper limit of the integral.
Drakkith
Mentor

Homework Statement

Find the maximum energy stored in the inductor.

Homework Equations

##p(t) = 0.09375te^{-1000t}(1-500t)##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So, I've been working my way through a multi-apart problem and one part asks me to find the maximum energy stored in an inductor. Given the equation that I found for power above, I can find the maximum energy using my calculator by having it integrate from t=0 to the time where the graph crosses the x-axis. My calculator can also find the point that it crosses the x-axis, which turns out to be 0.02 0.002 seconds, however I'd like to know how to solve this by hand if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like it hinges on the term in brackets, that's where p(t) changes sign. Is that 500t or 50t?

If you want to integrate an exponential function multiplied with a polynomial (can you see how it has this shape?), partial integration is usually the best approach. Take the polynomial as part where you calculate the derivative and the exponential as part yo integrate, then you get something that is easier to integrate as next step.

NascentOxygen said:
It looks like it hinges on the term in brackets, that's where p(t) changes sign. Is that 500t or 50t?

It's 500t.

mfb said:
If you want to integrate an exponential function multiplied with a polynomial (can you see how it has this shape?), partial integration is usually the best approach.

Oh trust me I tried that. I have about half a page of work for it that I ended up putting a big X through when it turned out that I misunderstood what I was supposed to be doing (I thought it wanted me to integrate from 0 to infinity).

In any case, I think I solved the integral correctly, I just didn't have the right limits. What I'm more interested in is how to figure out the upper limit of the integral.

Drakkith said:
What I'm more interested in is how to figure out the upper limit of the integral.
The place where the energy in the inductor doesn't increase any more. p(t)=0. p(t) is a product of four factors, only two of them can become zero and do so at different points, these two points give you the integration limits (assuming the inductor has zero energy when the function first gets positive - that is not described in the part of the problem statement you showed).

Drakkith said:
It's 500t.
So (1 – 500t) crosses the x-axis at 0.002s (1/500) not your 0.02s?

NascentOxygen said:
So (1 – 500t) crosses the x-axis at 0.002s (1/500) not your 0.02s?

Crap, I forgot a zero when I typed it in. It's t=0.002.

mfb said:
The place where the energy in the inductor doesn't increase any more. p(t)=0. p(t) is a product of four factors, only two of them can become zero and do so at different points, these two points give you the integration limits (assuming the inductor has zero energy when the function first gets positive - that is not described in the part of the problem statement you showed).

Multiplying the terms in ##p(t)## gives me ##p(t) = 0.009375te^{-1000t}-46.875t^2e^{-1000t}##.
Obviously the first limit is ##t=0##.
Factoring out the exponential and then dividing it out gives me ##0=0.09375t-46.875t^2##.
Solving for ##t## gives me ##t=0## and ##t=0.002##

Wow. It's all so obvious now. :rolleyes:

Thanks all!

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in an inductor?

The formula for calculating the maximum energy stored in an inductor is E = 1/2 * L * I2, where E is the energy in joules, L is the inductance in henries, and I is the current in amperes.

2. How does the inductance of an inductor affect the maximum energy stored?

The inductance of an inductor directly affects the maximum energy stored. The higher the inductance, the higher the maximum energy stored, and vice versa. This is because inductance is a measure of how much energy an inductor can store for a given current.

3. Can the maximum energy stored in an inductor be increased?

Yes, the maximum energy stored in an inductor can be increased by either increasing the inductance or the current. However, this increase in energy also leads to an increase in magnetic field strength, which can have other effects on the circuit.

4. What happens to the maximum energy stored when an inductor is connected in series with other components?

When an inductor is connected in series with other components, the maximum energy stored is reduced. This is because the total inductance in the circuit increases, leading to a decrease in the maximum energy stored in each individual inductor.

5. How does the frequency of the current affect the maximum energy stored in an inductor?

The frequency of the current has an inverse relationship with the maximum energy stored in an inductor. This means that as the frequency increases, the maximum energy stored decreases, and vice versa. This is because the higher the frequency, the faster the changes in current, leading to less time for the inductor to store energy.