1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Dissipation by Inductor (RL circuit)

1. Nov 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ffs.png

2. Relevant equations
    The voltage across an inductor is V(T) = L i'
    Basic current division and voltage division .
    Step function where u(T) : when t is smaller than 0 : u(t) = 0
    t >0 : u(t) = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

The voltage source has the equation 40 - 40u(t).
    When t <0 , this means that the value of the VS is 40V.

What happens to the current iL through the inductor...? Does the inductor acts as a short-circuit or open-circuit?
    Assuming an Inductor acts as a short-circuit under these conditions, iL= 40V/40ohms =1 Amps

This is my i(0).
    Therefore Rth = 20 ohms
    t = L/R = 10 / 20 = 1/2

So iL(t) is = 1A(e^(-2t))

When t > 0 , Vin becomes 0 V so the whole circuit becomes an RL circuit which can be simplified using equivalent resistance equation and the final circuit becomes a 20 ohms resistor in series with the inductor.

The energy dissipated by an Inductor is E = (L*i^2) /2 and since we know the initial energy stored in the inductor is (10H( 1A)^2) /2 = 5 Joules,

It must be dissipated by the resistor. So the total energy dissipated by the circuit is 5 J?

The main problem here is with me understand how an inductor behave in this kind of situation (DC I presume). How do we find the initial current and current at infinity? Kind of confused...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have it right. Inductor current starts at 1A and exponentially falls to zero on a time constant involving L and 20 ohms. The stored energy is all lost, so 5J looks correct.

When voltages are steady, the inductor acts like a short circuit.

You might find it instructive to work out what the voltage across the inductor would look like after t=0. Sketch the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted