Maximal Ideal Theorem: Proving M/IM=O for R-Module M and Ideal I

  • Thread starter Thread starter mclove
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mclove
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



let M be an R-module and I an ideal of R
suppose Mm=0 for all maximal ideals m
then, M=IM




The Attempt at a Solution



O[tex]\rightarrow[/tex] IM [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] M [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] M/IM [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] O is exact seq
To show that M/IM=O (then M=IM)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Is M a left R-module or a right R-module? You have R operating both on the right (Mm = 0) and the left (M = IM) of M. Also, assuming that all R operations are on the left (say), then what if I is a maximal ideal? We'd then have that M = MI = 0, which doesn't seem correct.

Petek