To show a module M = direct sum of Image and kernal of automorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that if a homomorphism φ is the identity function on elements of im(φ), then φ is injective and the module M can be decomposed into the direct sum of ker(φ) and im(φ). The conversation also discusses different approaches and considerations for proving this statement.
rachellcb

Homework Statement

Let R be a unital commutative ring. Let M be an R-module and [itex]\varphi : M \rightarrow M [/itex] a homomorphism.

To show: if [itex]\varphi \circ \varphi = \varphi [/itex] then [itex]M=ker(\varphi)\oplus im(\varphi) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already shown that [itex]M=ker(\varphi)\cap im(\varphi) = {0} [/itex], so now I am trying to show that if [itex]m \in M [/itex] then m=m1+m2 where m1 [itex]\in ker(\varphi)[/itex] and m2 [itex]\in im(\varphi)[/itex]

So far I have shown that [itex]\varphi[/itex] acts as the identity function on elements of [itex]im(\varphi)[/itex] and that [itex]\exists [/itex] m1, m2 with [itex]\varphi[/itex](m) = m2 then [itex]\varphi[/itex](m) = [itex]\varphi[/itex](m1 + m2) but I can not see a way to show that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is injective so this does not necessarily mean that m=m1+m2.

Not sure if I am using a good approach or not... Any hints or suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
φ is injective on im(φ). You've already figured out that m2 must be φ(m). Doesn't that mean m1 must equal m-φ(m)?

Thanks, I see that φ(m) = φ(m1) + φ(m2)
⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m) - φ(m2)
⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m - m2)
⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m - φ(m))

But neither m1 nor m need be in the image of φ, so injectivity does not necessarily apply, right?

Suppose m has two decomposition m=m1+m2=m1'+m2'. That means φ(m2)=φ(m2') where both m2 and m2' are both in im(φ). What does that say about m2 and m2'?

1. What is the definition of a module M being equal to the direct sum of the image and kernel of an automorphism?

A module M is said to be equal to the direct sum of the image and kernel of an automorphism if every element in M can be uniquely expressed as the sum of an element in the image and an element in the kernel.

2. How is this property useful in understanding modules?

Showing that a module is equal to the direct sum of the image and kernel of an automorphism allows for a better understanding of the structure of the module. It also provides a way to simplify computations and proofs involving the module.

3. Can this property be extended to other algebraic structures?

Yes, this property can be generalized to other algebraic structures, such as groups and rings. In fact, the concept of an automorphism and its relationship to the image and kernel is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra.

4. How can one prove that a module is equal to the direct sum of its image and kernel of an automorphism?

This can be proved by showing that every element in the module can be expressed as the sum of an element in the image and an element in the kernel, and that this expression is unique. This can be done by using the properties of an automorphism, such as injectivity and surjectivity.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this property of modules?

Yes, this property has various applications in fields such as linear algebra and functional analysis. It is also used in computer science, particularly in the study of coding theory and error-correcting codes.