1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

To show a module M = direct sum of Image and kernal of automorphism

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let R be a unital commutative ring. Let M be an R-module and [itex]\varphi : M \rightarrow M [/itex] a homomorphism.

To show: if [itex]\varphi \circ \varphi = \varphi [/itex] then [itex]M=ker(\varphi)\oplus im(\varphi) [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have already shown that [itex]M=ker(\varphi)\cap im(\varphi) = {0} [/itex], so now I am trying to show that if [itex]m \in M [/itex] then m=m1+m2 where m1 [itex]\in ker(\varphi)[/itex] and m2 [itex]\in im(\varphi)[/itex]

So far I have shown that [itex]\varphi[/itex] acts as the identity function on elements of [itex]im(\varphi)[/itex] and that [itex]\exists [/itex] m1, m2 with [itex]\varphi[/itex](m) = m2 then [itex]\varphi[/itex](m) = [itex]\varphi[/itex](m1 + m2) but I can not see a way to show that [itex]\varphi[/itex] is injective so this does not necessarily mean that m=m1+m2.

Not sure if I am using a good approach or not... Any hints or suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

φ is injective on im(φ). You've already figured out that m2 must be φ(m). Doesn't that mean m1 must equal m-φ(m)?

4. Apr 19, 2012 #3
    Thanks, I see that φ(m) = φ(m1) + φ(m2)
    ⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m) - φ(m2)
    ⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m - m2)
    ⇔ φ(m1) = φ(m - φ(m))

But neither m1 nor m need be in the image of φ, so injectivity does not necessarily apply, right?

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose m has two decomposition m=m1+m2=m1'+m2'. That means φ(m2)=φ(m2') where both m2 and m2' are both in im(φ). What does that say about m2 and m2'?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook