To prove the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem"

brotherbobby
Homework Statement
My textbook has listed the following theorem, calling it the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem".

If ##a_1, a_2, \dots, a_n## be a set of positive numbers not all equal, then
1. $$\boxed{\frac{\left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i^m \right)}{n} < \left(\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_i}{n}\right)^m}$$, when ##0<m<1##
2. $$\boxed{\frac{\left( \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i^m \right)}{n} > \left(\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_i}{n}\right)^m}$$ when ##m\in \mathbb{R}-(0,1)##
Relevant Equations
I am not sure what the relevant equations to prove the above identities are
1695532956927.png
Statement :
Let me copy and paste the statement as it appears in the text on the right.

Attempt : I could attempt nothing to prove the identity. The best I could do was to verify it for a given value of the ##a's, m, n##. I am not even sure what this identity is called but I will take the author's word for it - "The mth Powers Theorem".

Verify :

(1)
Let some ##m=0.5 (<1)##, ##n=3## and ##a_i's = \{2,3,4\}##. Then the L.H.S. = ##\frac{\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{3}+\sqrt{4}}{3}## = 1.72. The R.H.S. = ##\left( \frac {2+3+4}{3} \right)^{0.5}## = 1.73. Hence we see that L.H.S < R.H.S.

(2) Let some ##m=2 (>1)##, ##n=3## and ##a_i's = \{2,3,4\}##. Then the L.H.S. =## \frac{2^2+3^2+4^2}{3}## = 9.67. The R.H.S. = ##\left( \frac {2+3+4}{3} \right)^2## = 9. Hence we see that L.H.S > R.H.S.

So the theorem is probably true but we can't be sure.

1695534146367.png
Moreover, let's see on the last line for the stipulation for ##m## which I copy and paste to the right.
This implies that ##m<0##, say ##m= - 0.5##. I haven't verified this case but let's assume that the theorem holds for it.

Request : A hint or help to help prove these two identities would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
What about induction on ##n##?

Thank you. Let me try.

The idea is that ##x^m## is convex and concave for the corresponding values of ##m##. If you draw the graph you can see why it holds. These type of inequalities go by the name Jensen's inequality. The wiki article on it is not bad.

• Informative
Likes PeroK

1. What is the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem"?

The "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" is a mathematical theorem that states that for any positive integer m, there exists at least one set of m consecutive positive integers whose sum is a perfect mth power.

2. Who discovered the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem"?

The "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" was first discovered by Swiss mathematician Leonhard Euler in the 18th century.

3. How is the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" useful?

The "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" has various applications in number theory and cryptography. It also helps in solving problems related to perfect powers and consecutive integers.

4. Can you provide an example of the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" in action?

One example of the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" is the set of 5 consecutive positive integers: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. The sum of these integers (25) is a perfect 5th power (5^2).

5. Is the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" applicable to all positive integers?

Yes, the "##m^{\text{th}}## Powers Theorem" is applicable to all positive integers. This means that for any value of m, there exists at least one set of m consecutive positive integers whose sum is a perfect mth power.