Maximum value of 2(a-x)(x+√(x²+b²)) for real x

  • Thread starter Thread starter ritwik06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
ritwik06
Messages
577
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If x belongs set of real numbers, find the maximum value of [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}})[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


All that I could do was to try and diffrentiate the above expression but it yields a polynomial of degree 4. A hint to this question is that it belongs to the Quadratic Equations Chapter. And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]
Please help me. I can't make head or tail out of it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
complete the square …

ritwik06 said:
If x belongs set of real numbers, find the maximum value of [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}})[/tex]
…
A hint to this question is that it belongs to the Quadratic Equations Chapter. And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

You have to complete the square (twice).

Hint: start with the easy bit … the 2ax. :smile:
 


tiny-tim said:
Hi ritwik06! :smile:

You have to complete the square (twice).

Hint: start with the easy bit … the 2ax. :smile:

I didnt get u tim. Coul u please be more explicit...
thanks
 


ritwik06 said:
I didnt get u tim. Coul u please be more explicit...
thanks

Do you know what "complete the square" means?

If you do … then try it! :smile:

(If you don't, I'll show you an example.)
 


tiny-tim said:
Do you know what "complete the square" means?

If you do … then try it! :smile:

(If you don't, I'll show you an example.)

I tried this:
help me!
[tex]b^{2}+2ax+2a(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}})-(x+(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}))^{2}[/tex]
Hey, please help. Dont think that I havnt tried it at all. I have done all that I could. Thanks for the help.
 


ritwik06 said:
I tried this:
help me!
[tex]b^{2}+2ax+2a(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}})-(x+(\sqrt{b^{2}+x^{2}))^{2}[/tex]
Hey, please help. Dont think that I havnt tried it at all. I have done all that I could. Thanks for the help.

ok … two hints:

i] You have two squares to complete, and you need x2 in both of them … so you'll have to split up the -2x2, won't you? :wink:

ii] You know what the answer is, so that gives you a pretty good clue as to what might be left over! :smile:

(And, as I said, get rid of the 2ax first.)
 


tiny-tim said:
ok … two hints:
i] You have two squares to complete, and you need x2 in both of them … so you'll have to split up the -2x2, won't you? :wink:
ii] You know what the answer is, so that gives you a pretty good clue as to what might be left over! :smile:
(And, as I said, get rid of the 2ax first.)

I have worked more on this problem but yet no results come my way;
[tex]((a+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})-((x-a)^{2})-((x+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})[/tex]
 


ritwik06 said:
I have worked more on this problem but yet no results come my way;
[tex]((a+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})-((x-a)^{2})-((x+\sqrt(x^{2}+b^{2}))^{2})[/tex]

ok …

try [tex]2(a-x)(x+\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}}) = a^2\ -\ (a-x)^2\ -\ x^2\ +\ 2(a-x)\sqrt{x^{2}+b^{2}}[/tex] :smile:
 
ritwik06 said:
And the answer to th above question is [tex]a^{2}+b^{2}[/tex]

It is not a correct answer.

But I must admit I have no idea how to complete these squares. Not that I am surprised, I am mathematically challenged. I have solved it by brute force, which was much easier then expected.
 
completing the square

Borek said:
It is not a correct answer.

But I must admit I have no idea how to complete these squares. Not that I am surprised, I am mathematically challenged. I have solved it by brute force, which was much easier then expected.

Hi Borek! :smile:

Try adding [itex]b^2\ -\ b^2[/itex] to my last post. :smile:
 
Arrgh. There is nothing like solving different question that was asked. I was looking for x such that the function given gets maximum value. That's for

[tex]x = \frac {a^2-b^2} {2a}[/tex]

but

[tex]{a^2+b^2}[/tex]

is a correct max value.

Thanks TT :smile:
 
Thanks a lot Tim.
I had got my answer the day you had posted your second last reply.
Thank you very very much. I am sorry for xpressing my gratitude a bit late. Thanks again.